• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making my own reproduction A-2

B-Man2

Hi Harriet
Your mock up is interesting. As you mentioned it is a little large on you and if you want it to resemble the properties of an A2 jacket, you’ll have to scale down your pattern a bit .
Question? Are you using photos of A2 jackets to create your epaulettes , pockets and sleeves ? If so, we can help you by posting photos of A2 jackets and sections of those jackets that you might find useful in constructing your patterns . Go luck with your designs . Good fit pictures as well .
Cheers

mulceber

One thing I'd note is that the beveling on those pocket corners is a bit extreme. Most A-2s either have rounded pocket corners, or some slight beveling (the Bronco and United Sheeplined contracts):
29262F8D-5CDE-4933-A240-E4FFE170DFD8.JPG

7355B95E-AFFF-4D4F-81FE-35EF79135E23.JPG

Looks like you're off to a great start!

HarrietTheSpy

Thanks for the responses! I do have quite a few photos, including the pictures at Acme Depot, but sometimes the details get a little overwhelming so I appreciate the pointers on specifics.

MikeyB-17

Good to have you with us, Harriet, we never seem to get many ladies here. Interesting project, and you obviously know what you’re doing. You will no doubt find yourself bombarded with forum members grimly determined to be of service to you, chipping in with their two penn’orth-I’m sure some of it will be helpful! :)
Do you have a sewing machine that can do leather? I know you said you’re using goat, which is relatively thin, but as I expect you’ll have found, there can be several layers in parts of an A-2 (like the epaulettes), which your average machine would struggle with. Another chap who I’m sure will be able to advise you is Ken Calder of Aero Leather, (Ken at Aero Leather) who has made more A-2’s than any of us have had hot dinners. He’s a busy man and often we don’t see him here for a while, but I’d say if anyone can point you in the right direction, he can.

HarrietTheSpy

Thank you for the welcome! I am appreciating the eagerness of the forum to be of assistance :)

I do have a heavy duty Singer, but thank you for pointing out the layers in the epaulets, I will test it and if it is a struggle, I can probably borrow a stronger workhouse of a sewing machine from the costume designer I often do work for.

I think striving for the perfect fit is going to be my biggest struggle--often when I am constructing garments I tend to cut pieces a little more generously because I worry about making something too small, and then I'm whittling away at the pieces trying to get them the correct size. I think I'm close to the proper shape and proportions, I just need to get it to fit me better.

HarrietTheSpy

This is vital to avoid disapointment and broken needles
Thank you for checking in! I do know about using a walking foot --I work as a costume stitcher for local theater productions, so I have fairly decent equipment--although there are always upgrades to aspire towards! I've done minimal leather work though and this will be the first leather garment I've constructed.

2BM2K

Not sure about the collar, the original pattern collar was quite wide, I've been narrowing it bit by bit and am not sure if it's narrow enough. I also think the point needs to come down some? Not sure if I'm explaining it properly. Like the point needs to be narrower.

The thing about an A2 jacket is that it is designed for functionality. The collar performs the same function as any other flight jacket, eg the B3, and protects the neck. Hence the wideness.

This is best appreciated when the collar is flipped to it's up position. The collar needs to meet in the front to complete the protection.

Geoff

HarrietTheSpy

The thing about an A2 jacket is that it is designed for functionality. The collar performs the same function as any other flight jacket, eg the B3, and protects the neck. Hence the wideness.

This is best appreciated when the collar is flipped to it's up position. The collar needs to meet in the front to complete the protection.

Geoff
Thanks, that is very helpful!

Happy Hooligan

Hi Harriet
Don't rush to upgrade your machine
Mine is probably 30 years old with blue tack modification in the tension but "we know each other"
Everyone else in Aero seems to prefer new Carlos Fandango machines but I find mine is like a comfy old pair of boots
All of my machines are from the 20's to the 50's. I don't like the Carlos Fandango machines either. lol

HarrietTheSpy

Haven't no real update to post --I haven't had much time to work on the muslin/toile/mockup since I got my first costuming job in over a year--I work as a costume technician (fancy way of saying I build costumes for theatre productions) and with the Pandemic and no live shows, I had no work. But I'm working on a production now, hoping to be finished by the end of the week and able to devote more time to the jacket project. I've been able to sneak a little time here and there and think I'm pretty close, I just want it to be perfect when I start working with the leather.

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi Harriet

Have you decided on your leather yet?
If not
Avoid anything with too loose a surface, or slightly spongy won't look right and is a bugger to sew

Don't know where you live but if I was making my first leather jacket I'd buy a leather sofa on ebay and use the leather from that
There are usually loads on ebay for pennies (or cents if it's the same in USA) Probably, judging by the number of "big name" actors advertising these on the telly
I'm guessing Bernie Made Off with their "Pensions" years ago

Recently sold................
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-...916151?hash=item1cfd6dce37:g:qmsAAOSwSeFf8GMz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Seater-Leather-Sofa-Please-Read-Description-/184610309834?hash=item2afba1c6ca:g:fgkAAOSwzEpfvW8Q&nma=true&si=Z4X2CNKLNd7UlGbI1FkZQ98cfVI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There are dozens more listed right now......

Last edited:

HarrietTheSpy

Hi Harriet

Have you decided on your leather yet?
If not
Avoid anything with too loose a surface, or slightly spongy won't look right and is a bugger to sew

Don't know where you live but if I was making my first leather jacket I'd buy a leather sofa on ebay and use the leather from that
There are usually loads on ebay for pennies (or cents if it's the same in USA) Probably, judging by the number of "big name" actors advertising these on the telly
I'm guessing Bernie Made Off with their "Pensions" years ago

Recently sold................
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-...916151?hash=item1cfd6dce37:g:qmsAAOSwSeFf8GMz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Seater-Leather-Sofa-Please-Read-Description-/184610309834?hash=item2afba1c6ca:g:fgkAAOSwzEpfvW8Q&nma=true&si=Z4X2CNKLNd7UlGbI1FkZQ98cfVI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There are dozens more listed right now......
Thanks for the tip on the leather! I do have some already that I think should work well, but this is good information for any future projects.