• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a Leather Jacket

Bombing IP

Never once looked at her cell phone . Boy that looks like a lot of work ,but satisfying work no less a you complete a full circle start with pieces and end up with a jacket .
“EXCELSIOR!”

BIP

ausreenactor

Impressive.

I get excited when my wife makes me some dinner? This is 'next level'.

As an aside is it legal to 'creep' on the staff like that?

;)

B-Man2

She’s looks to be fairly young , where did she pick up sewing skills that impressive for her age? ( of course I’m getting old so most look young to me;))

Ken at Aero Leather

She’s looks to be fairly young , where did she pick up sewing skills that impressive for her age? ( of course I’m getting old so most look young to me;))
:) She is young, came to us in 2013 straight from Heroiot Watt Textile Uni, shes one of around 8 HW graduates all under 30 currently at Aero, all have also had intensive training at Aero. Of the 8 two of the lads are equally skilled and another is the factory manager. We've also got a local kid of 23 at that level, she's been with us for a couple of years.................and then there's the legendary Julie Leitch and Christine Harley

We are truly blessed with a great bunch of craftsfolk at Aero and such a young average age bodes well for the future

Last edited:

Bombing IP

You are blessed Ken as most industries that make things have all the talent about to retire over the next five years ,industry has not invested for the future and what's left is tiny to what we had and we were self sufficient . If the Japanese attacked again we could not build what we need for combat as before in December 41 . Ford GM ,National Postal Meter ,International Harvester etc etc turned their operation around to help the war effort . We would have to rely on the Chinese to make our uniforms and such ,how times have changed .

BIP

B-Man2

Ken
That’s awesome . My mom worked on a sewing machine most of her life . During the war she worked in The Philadelphia Quartermaster where they made about 80 % of the US uniforms during WWII. She sewed the pockets onto M-42 Paratrooper pants. She could literally make anything on a sewing machine. I really thought it was a lost art until I saw this young lady.

ausreenactor

I have a 1950s Singer 'Stitch Bonder'. It is like a sewing machine but for men..

:cool:

I use it to put the chevrons on the original and repro jackets, repair kids clothes as required. The one and only time I tried to 'tailor' a repro jacket I ended taking it to the Chinese 'Tiger Lady' up the road. She saved the day. It IS a skill.