• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Made a fool of myself in M&S today...

B-Man2

Why......? Why would I want Ralph Lauren’s name and year on my jacket.......?
Nat
I’m guessing that it’s for the same reasons that everyone back in the 70s and 80s ran around with Gloria Vanderbilt, Calvin Klein , Sergio Valente, and Jordache emblazoned all over the seat of their jeans. It was a status symbol. ....,,,, I know ....... that was way before your time ..,,,,.Did I just date myself .... ?? ;)

Nnatalie

Nat
I’m guessing that it’s for the same reasons that everyone back in the 70s and 80s ran around with Gloria Vanderbilt, Calvin Klein , Sergio Valente, and Jordache emblazoned all over the seat of their jeans. It was a status symbol. ....,,,, I know ....... that was way before your time ..,,,,.Did I just date myself .... ?? ;)
Oh we have plenty of that in the present day too haha. Tons of kids wore stuff emblazoned with trendy teenage mall brands when I was in high school. And there’s all the designer purse companies that decide to plaster their logo all over their bags. I just don’t know WHY people like it... If you want to flaunt your money, do it in a “I’m so wealthy, I don’t NEED to brag” sort of way. Get a designer bag with an iconic shape, or whatever designer it is that has the high heels with red soles. And most importantly, don’t mess with historical shit just to show off!!!

That being said, it is satisfying sometimes to buy luxury goods just because they’re luxury. I’m wearing a Ralph Lauren cashmere sweater today, and the name did make it an extra pleasing find at the thrift store. It just doesn’t have their name anywhere but the tag inside.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Oh we have plenty of that in the present day too haha. Tons of kids wore stuff emblazoned with trendy teenage mall brands when I was in high school. And there’s all the designer purse companies that decide to plaster their logo all over their bags. I just don’t know WHY people like it... If you want to flaunt your money, do it in a “I’m so wealthy, I don’t NEED to brag” sort of way. Get a designer bag with an iconic shape, or whatever designer it is that has the high heels with red soles. And most importantly, don’t mess with historical shit just to show off!!!
And I didn’t say emblazoned on their ass because I was afraid it might be offensive hahaha:D.. you go girl!!;)

Garylafortuna

Great marketing skills old Ralph. Little gray cells doing their job. I'd give half my kingdom for his collection of fine motor cars.

Smithy

Great marketing skills old Ralph. Little gray cells doing their job. I'd give half my kingdom for his collection of fine motor cars.

He's got some stunning motors.

And say what you like about Ralph but no one, and I mean no one, has done more to champion 30s and 40s clothing, fashion and style. Every year and in amongst some of the more grisly nods to contemporary fashion trends, you'll still always find throughout his sub brands huge amounts of clothing made to 30s and 40s cuts and patterns.