• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machine Washing the CWU-36/p - a detailed report.

269sqnhudson

Following my enquiries about washing the 36/p I tried it and it went super well! Here's a report on washing CWU-36/p jackets in a washing machine:

I washed two jackets together (one used, one unissued but storage soiled) on a cold delicate cycle with a delicates liquid for wool and silk etc and they came out perfectly. I dried them outside in reasonably warm weather and they actually dried in about 30 minutes. All residual tide marks, neck wear and stains have disappeared.

I notice that the odd waxy feeling has also gone from the fabric supporting my suspicions that they had dry cleaning residue in them or some kind of manufacturing treatment that caused the spotting and tide marks. I doubt this is anything fire-proofing related as the fabric is not impregnated by design.

The stitching is fine post-wash. The stitching is known to be a little weak on these jackets and the one I have worn a few times exhibits some minor fading in stitch colour at the cuffs, elbows and shoulders after the minor dirt has been cleaned out but the unissued one looks like new the other side of a wash.

The knits are perfect, no pilling or shrinking whatsoever.

I would think that alternating washing inside out and right way out would minimise the risk of any possible colour fading to the stitching over time.

As a point of fact I have the original 1984 care and maintenance manual for nomex flight equipment which states machine washing as fine for the 36/p but not the 45/p due to the batting interlining. At this time also the labels on a 36/p said machine wash or dry clean. Newer ones say dry clean only but I imagine as there has been no change in spec that this is somewhat cautious.

Wash away!

Tom

Reactions: GWC

colekwok

Well, following up with the post from the hat forum, I also ditched my newly acquired 45/p into the washing machine. I used a programme for washing jeans, which means 1 single wash cycles with slow spins (strangely....), plus a bit of non-bio detergent. I folded my jacket inside out and zipped the sleeves in the middle when I put it in. It came out without any deformation at all. The linings are still in place, jacket now smells much fresher although some of the marks around the collar are still there. This saved me a few quids for dry cleaning......

Monsoon

Man, you guys went the whole nine yards when it came to washing your jackets.

How did I wash mine?

Liquid detergent, cold water, just tossed it in. When it was finished I shook out the water and hung it in the shower to dry.

When it was dry I slapped my patches back on. Done. :D

Monsoon said:

How did I wash mine?

Liquid detergent, cold water, just tossed it in. When it was finished I shook out the water and hung it in the shower to dry.

I do the same with mine, but I use Oxyclean.

derleicaman

I have done the same with mine and it worked just fine as you reported. I also noted the strange, waxy feel to the material before washing. Not sure if this is a build-up of dry cleaning chemicals or a reaction of aramid with airborne contaminants. Exposure to jet fuel? Anyway, I have never dry cleaned any of my aramid jackets, just cold wash gentle cycle. I have never noticed this waxy feel to the material on any of my repro Alpha L2-B or CPU-45. Only on the real deal aramid jackets. Anyone else?

269sqnhudson

Monsoon said:

How did I wash mine?

I think that's precisely what I did isn't it? A little caution goes a long way when I've paid $150 per jacket :D

269sqnhudson

ButteMT61 said:
These posts do not work without pics!

Yes they do. We use things called 'words'. Very good for describing stuff words are. Furthermore slight fading on the stitching of a sage green jacket is better described than photographed. I could of course post a before and after pic but they would be identical so I'm not 100% sure it would be worth the effort :D

colekwok

269sqnhudson said:
ButteMT61 said:

Yes they do. We use things called 'words'. Very good for describing stuff words are. Furthermore slight fading on the stitching of a sage green jacket is better described than photographed. I could of course post a before and after pic but they would be identical so I'm not 100% sure it would be worth the effort :D

That is very true indeed. Before and after seems to be the same afterall.......

ButteMT61

269sqnhudson said:
ButteMT61 said:

Sure, I bet all the jacket makers are going to dump pesky pics and replace with those awesome words! I can see it now - oh wait, no I can't. :roll:

269sqnhudson

ButteMT61 said:
269sqnhudson said:
ButteMT61 said:

Sure, I bet all the jacket makers are going to dump pesky pics and replace with those awesome words! I can see it now - oh wait, no I can't. :roll:

This particular discussion is not about repro jackets or manufacturers :? Your point may be better used elsewhere. By all means contribute to the discussion at hand with a comment or criticism that is vaguely relevant.