• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA-1 variations

johnwayne

Ive an 80's Alpha (blue) that I like a lot but compared to my 60's Skyline the're chalk and cheese! The Skyline is noticeably thicker/heavier and more trimly cut. The same jacket but different!!

Rutger

I got an issued Alpha, from the early seventies IIRCC, and it is every bit as heavy and tough as it should be.
The commercial "flight satin" MA-1's from Alpha are not quite the real deal, especially knowing they used to make the real deal.
But many people are happy with the later interpretations, and that's fine with me.
It slightly amuses me that copies of the MA-1's and CWU-jackets are quite popular in the military aircraft spotters community (a community where lots of people know and remember the craziest details about whatever aircraft was at whatever location in whatever period), yet very few of them can be seen in either originals or excellent repro's.
I find it rather funny that the CWU jackets are available in abundance, yet repro's are made and sold just as often, if not more often. Made of nylon at that.

Marv

I also have a 1961 Skyline and a recent Alpha and as JohnWayne mentions, they are definitely like chalk & cheese, different but same.

johnwayne

With the noticeably cooler days now mine are due for airing I think, or the tanker, maybe the B10, decisions decisions!!

watchmanjimg

Thank you Flt Engr !!

So no MA-1's after 1969 ? One i saw must be a repro then. Odd as it looked very mil-issue.
More research needed . All part of the fun :)

It was, but not for flight crew - for ground.

I'd like to see some proof of this rather bold assertion. I believe MA-1s were worn for flight use well into the 1970s at a minimum. However, the later green-lined MA-1s were authorized for Security Police, air traffic controllers, and other ground personnel through the 1980s and I've seen at least one Alpha Industries example from a 1990 contract.

Flightengineer

I'd like to see some proof of this rather bold assertion. I believe MA-1s were worn for flight use well into the 1970s at a minimum. However, the later green-lined MA-1s were authorized for Security Police, air traffic controllers, and other ground personnel through the 1980s and I've seen at least one Alpha Industries example from a 1990 contract.

I think you are arguing with yourself.
What you claim was written above and not only in this thread just in other words :)
The MA-1 (in contrast to the A-2) is a much more “studied” jacket, all the different specifications are known, it is known when which ones were for the flight, and which were not. So what is the question?

watchmanjimg

I think you are arguing with yourself.
What you claim was written above and not only in this thread just in other words :)
The MA-1 (in contrast to the A-2) is a much more “studied” jacket, all the different specifications are known, it is known when which ones were for the flight, and which were not. So what is the question?

I'm not arguing with anyone, simply trying to understand what you're saying. You seem to be claiming that the MA-1 was not intended for flight use after 1969. Did I understand correctly?

Flightengineer

I'm not arguing with anyone, simply trying to understand what you're saying. You seem to be claiming that the MA-1 was not intended for flight use after 1969. Did I understand correctly?

Not quite correctly:)
I meaned only that the latest specification of the jacket was no longer for flights but for ground personnel.
Here is a great visual table for specifications, liner colors and years.

watchmanjimg

Not quite correctly:)
I meaned only that the latest specification of the jacket was no longer for flights but for ground personnel.
Here is a great visual table for specifications, liner colors and years.

I'm quite familiar with this chart, which is of limited usefulness as it provides only the most general information. Over the years we've had extensive discussion on the various nylon jackets here, and I would encourage current VLJ members to research older threads for more accurate information.

Last edited:

bn1966

Had an Alpha 80's 'service issue' green lining 'non-flying' status MA-1 that was a bit snug & not the of best textiles, picked another Alpha up the other day (post 2000) that I suspect is a 'Civvy' version despite the 'DLA' number & lack of tag on cigarette pocket.

Looking for an XL 'service issue' MA1 with 21" shoulders (any contract) :) Bloody swimming!!!!

watchmanjimg

Had an Alpha 80's 'service issue' green lining 'non-flying' status MA-1 that was a bit snug & not the of best textiles, picked another Alpha up the other day (post 2000) that I suspect is a 'Civvy' version despite the 'DLA' number & lack of tag on cigarette pocket.

Are you able to post a pic of the label?

bn1966

Are you able to post a pic of the label?

Here we go
IMG_1236.JPG

bn1966

Sold it this week as too snug on the shoulders (for good $$ too)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (24).jpg
    FullSizeRender (24).jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 247

Flightengineer

May be not for this thread...but I was always interested why Alpha, after stopped producing contract jackets for all of even they most successful repro of the B-15 and MA-1 (for example, in they Vintage series from 90s) always made sleeve pocket not at the correct historical angle. This is clearly noticeable especially on jackets with the USAF shoulder logo. The repro pocket is almost parallel (very small angle) regarding the inscription, while on the originals according to the specification for the convenience of the pilot, it was at a rather large angle.In addition, on the originals it is located differently with respect to the logo, closer to the chest of the jacket.
Theoretically, the pocket sewing technology is the same, however, at all the Alpha repro (and many Chinese copying it, for example the same Bronson MA-1 and some others), the pocket is at a much smaller angle, most characteristic of N3b jackets.

Rutger

Apparently, there are several variatons on the tag. I can't figure the "non flying status" when reading the 2000 tag. According to the tag of the 2000 picture, the jacket is a "jacket, flyer's, man's etc. etc", whereas the '82 tag says differently. The 2000 version appers to me to invite for made for flying, which, given the claim culture in the US, would seem a recipe for future claims. The '82 tag seems quite appropriate for its purpose.
I guess I wonder where the gov'ment involvement begins and ends.