• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M65 contracts

watchmanjimg

Again, the label appears suspect and if you read the description the seller indicates that the jacket is not government issue but made by a government contractor. This seems plausible as I believe I've heard of this maker before.

watchmanjimg

PLATON said:
I know this seller and he's OK

Sorry if I appear to suggest otherwise as that was not my intent. He does seem to be an honest seller as evidenced by his volunteering that the jacket in question is not GI issue.

A

Anonymous

Sorry if I appear to suggest otherwise as that was not my intent.

No, not at all my friend. I just said he was honest to share my info with others who may read this and considering to buy.

watchmanjimg

YoungMedic said:
Are there any distinguishing features about the different contracts that makes them ID without a tag?

I imagine it can be done to an extent, although I haven't delved into this deeply enough to be able to do it personally. Lining color and zipper brand are clues. Identifying the approximate vintage is much easier due to certain design features. Thankfully most retain their labels so this is unnecessary for the most part. ;)

YoungMedic

"Most" ! lol, it would figure that both jackets I got from my Dad did not have their labels. I managed to grab an M65 from him yesterday while at the house. After some digging using the "General" labeled zipper, it would appear to be made by So-Sew Styles, at any point from the late 70's to early 80's. Its quite minty though :)

Ill throw some pics up when I can

A

Anonymous

it's very tough as even the same maker at different times used different fabrics for the outer shell, lining, and of course parts

I own many M65s and none are exactly the same

a2jacketpatches

What's the scoop on these? picked it up this morning, dated 1960 but looks just like an M-65 Pretty mint just a little ring around the collar.

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Logistics_Agency

Check out the link above. The "DLA" is unmistakable and the overall layout of the label is consistent with post-'Nam-era examples. I'm willing to bet it's '80 or '86. What are the zippers made of? If they're brass it's another telltale sign.

No matter what the label appears to say, this jacket design did not exist in 1960.

Yup, brass. Oh well, doesn't hurt too bad at 10 bucks

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
No doubt. It's a great score like many you've had lately. :D

Heading out in a few to check out a VN pile, parachute, fatigues, and a described as blue zip up flight jacket :D And a bunch of ammo and gun stuff in the morning.
Wish me luck, not sure I'll sleep so good tonight.

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
watchmanjimg said:

Heading out in a few to check out a VN pile, parachute, fatigues, and a described as blue zip up flight jacket :D And a bunch of ammo and gun stuff in the morning.

I'm sure you'll do great. When I get a chance I'll post pics of the blue jacket I snagged this week . . .

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
a2jacketpatches said:
watchmanjimg said:

I'm sure you'll do great. When I get a chance I'll post pics of the blue jacket I snagged this week . . .

Love the blue stuff.