• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M65 Cold Mans Field [1966]

Erwin

Hi Folks,

A quick question regarding the stamp on the lining, any suggestions on what it means? I own multiple early M-65 contracts [as well as the initial three five-digit DSA contracts], but never seen stampings like this one. Any help would be appreciated.
51886380984_a740c3e3eb_b.jpg

It is DSA 100-3378 Alpha Industries, Inc.[the first M-65 contract with epaulets made by Alpha, contract signed in April 1966]. It was a great find, a Large regular in almost mint condition - no tailor chalk marks around the zipper or inspection tags, but a solid piece.
51855083816_207a5dc855_b.jpg

51842539624_a3767d9eb8_c.jpg

51854121822_86bc1c2fb4_b.jpg

Have a good weekend.

blackrat2

Sorry can’t help there, however that looks to be in great condition, wouldn’t mind see some of the other earlier jackets you have

Erwin

Sure thing Blackrat2, indeed this DSA100-3378 is close to mint. I have all M-65 except one which I rarely use [DSA100-3378 which was a deadstock piece] in a different location. Will post one day more detailed pictures of these initial five-digit contacts and a prototype jacket. Looks like currently, I can show only a bit of these.
52857092809_11aabf77a4_b.jpg

In case anyone is capable of "decoding" information from the first posted picture regarding the stamp, this would be great. Thanks.

blackrat2

Jeez, that is one hell of a collection
I am sure it was on this site that someone
said the older ones seemed to be put together better..is it only on the older ones they used silver zips?

Erwin

Hi Blackrat2,

Thanks, was collecting early production and rare field jackets. As far as I remember correctly, silver zippers [Conmar] were in use until 1972 - when the first time copper zippers General, Scovill] were used. There are interesting exceptions from this, you can find three contracts from 1967 [DSA100-67-C-0221 BILAMCO INC, DSA100-67-C-0249 CHIEF APPAREL INC, and DSA 100-67-C-0706 CHIEF APPAREL INC] where brass Talons were used like main zippers. Also, the first time a brass zipper in the collar can be found at DSA1-8666 [aka "Diablo" as collectors named this contract], but this variant from 1965 is very, very rare. "Diablo" even with a silver zipper in the collar is a very rare and well-desired contract.

What is very interesting and worthy to pinpoint, is the fact that if we see any website or video where all M-65 contracts are listed, it is always based on the publication of Mr. Andrzej Gracki and a few other researchers/collectors who collaborated on this research.

Erwin

Glad to help Blackrat2, if have any questions regarding US field jackets let me know via DM, hopefully, I'd be able to help. When I'm able to review all my jackets will create a thread with pictures of early M-65 jackets.

Folks, any idea about this stamping from the first picture?

MauldinFan

The M-65 is one of my favorite jackets.
The ironic thing is that it's the only style jacket I ever wore on active duty that's been discussed here, and I'm just not a big fan of them. I still have mine (woodland camo, with my patches, nametapes and rank) but I can't honestly tell you where it is, likely in a container in the shed in the back yard.
I'm NOT poo-pooing you guys for liking them. I just find it funny that I'm no fan. Heck, I think the only time I ever wore mine was when I was turning in my stuff at CIF at my last duty station, as we wore Gore-tex parkas. I kept my Gore-Tex and turned in a used one I bought at a surplus place off-post.
I was issued my M65 in October of 1998 and they didn't even ask for it back. I guess I might have been the last group of soldiers to be issued them?

Spitfireace

I just think you put the liner in it and it's a tank of a jacket. I should say coat. Not suitable for around town but in the wild trying to stay warm. It's my favorite.