• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M445 jackets

mulceber

It's amazing how some ANJ-4s look relatively light. Lighter than most modern reproductions.
If one day I buy an ANJ-4 (it's bound to happen one day...), I'd like it to look like the one I circled in the picture.
If I kindly ask to Aero Leather, is it possible to use a softer and lighter sheepskin ? Has this been done before ?

View attachment 49729

The Eastman Poughkeepsie AN-J-4 is made in a lighter-weight shearling. If I recall, it’s about the thickness of a B-6. That might be the one for you.

Last edited:

Kermit3D

The ELC Poughkeepsie AN-J-4 is really beautiful... but it's really expensive. The ANJ-4 sold by Aero Leather seems to be better for the money.
But I feel that the Aero collar is really big compared to some of the original models in the photo.

I think it's the thickness and length of the sheep hair (I don't know how to say it well in English).
Maybe an ANJ-4 Aero Leather (not to large size) with a shorter hair length would be the solution ?

As the ELC website seems to suggest, the hair length depends on the contract. So it's probably historically correct to have a short haired ANJ-4.

Kermit3D

The proportions of Goodwear's AJN-4 are perfect IMHO.

https://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/ANJ4_Aero_44/

ANJ4_Jacket.jpg

Last edited:

mulceber

If you like the GW, I’d say go for it. You won’t find a better jacket out there, and if you pay the $200 deposit soon, JC will likely be done making it by the time you’re ready to buy.

s4rmark

The ELC Poughkeepsie is as Kermit 3D says “ a beautiful jacket “ but it is built like a tank and is tiring to wear for long periods. I would think that the Aero
7DE86C14-EAA5-4146-BAB3-59E5A8D1664F.jpeg
Version would be more of an easier jacket to wear due to their softer and non broken grain sheepskin.

Kermit3D

The ELC Poughkeepsie is as Kermit 3D says “ a beautiful jacket “ but it is built like a tank and is tiring to wear for long periods. I would think that the Aero View attachment 49732Version would be more of an easier jacket to wear due to their softer and non broken grain sheepskin.

It confirms the impression I had about the ELC's ANJ-4.
But on this photo it looks good on you (I'm sure the sheep in the background don't agree with that) !

If you like the GW, I’d say go for it. You won’t find a better jacket out there, and if you pay the $200 deposit soon, JC will likely be done making it by the time you’re ready to buy.

The question is not only to be able to buy this jacket, but also to know how much you are willing to pay for it.
I don't know how much an ANJ-4 from Goodwear can cost. Maybe $1800 (maybe more) ? plus shipping, plus customs taxes... that would be a total of about $2300, and 1 year or more waiting...

I love the ANJ-4 but I'm not ready for that, even for a Goodwear.
For the moment (that may change) the jacket made by Aero seems to be the best option.

The second hand option is also possible.... this forum offers so many temptations (I would never have imagined buying an A-2 jacket so quickly...) ! :D

Last edited:

Griffon_301

The Poughkeepsie ANJ-4 from ELC looks like that...
If I get me one oneday, I might stick to John's recommendation though and go the Aeroleather way....

mulceber

Probably should be in the sale section. Regardless, seems on point. Enjoy.

“The sheepskin is comfortable and flexible, easy to wear.”

Maybe not in the sale section, but it's been covered. ;)