• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M43 Jackets "Original"

dujardin

interesting to know

nice original jacket you have there

have you a photo of the norwegian label ??

Officer Dibley

Thomas, we are colleagues! You have great jackets. Love it.
I have collected vintage field jackets for more than 15 years. Only originals, not repro. I have 3 of original m43 (one of then first pattern 370 - without letter), m51 and of course my favorite M65 (3 jackets of 1968 with a gray lining). I have also early Canadian MkII and the Dutch m64 from 60's.
But my jackets without patches, I wear them all from time to time
And I do not have Norwegian M43 :)

M43

fb02d8657715.jpg

e55d8eb3950f.jpg

5d7e85b7d9d2.jpg

Do you have an M50.....?

Officer Dibley

"Practically the same".... imagine if we all thought that way about A-2's which are all practically the same :D

Mine is a different material. Not the sateen but a cotton duck. Same as the Norwegian ones which gives credence to me that theirs were eithe made in the US or under licence . A much more waterproof material.

My fav is the M51. Don't like the cuffs on the M65

Flightengineer

I know about materials, buddy ... and yet :)

Yes, I also love my M51s;) one mine in SR size, but this SL 1965 is the most comfy

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Tastes and preferences are different for everyone :)
Sorry, I see you don't seem to like the word "buddy", I didn't want to be impolite.
I have been collecting 43, 65 and 51 jackets for a long time.
I saw the M50 jackets several times in my size SR in good condition on eBay but for some reason I never buy it.
I rarely wear my M43. Usually if, I have "fieldjacket mood", I wear M51 or one of my M65s (all 65s from 1968). The old Canadian Mk2 also rarely leaves the closet, although there is something in it ... I like her collar, similar to the collar of hunting Barbour jackets. And yet for me the most comfortable field jacket is 51 or 65.

Do you have 50's pattern smock in olive?

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

"Practically the same".... imagine if we all thought that way about A-2's which are all practically the same :D

Mine is a different material. Not the sateen but a cotton duck. Same as the Norwegian ones which gives credence to me that theirs were eithe made in the US or under licence . A much more waterproof material.

My fav is the M51. Don't like the cuffs on the M65

About 5 years ago, I bought a 1970 NOS M-65 field jacket, but didn’t care for the velcro on the cuffs. I had two extra buttons taken from a beaten up Vietnam era jungle jacket. So, I took the jacket to the tailor who cut off the cuff flaps and deleted all of the velcro in that area. Then he proceeded to make a very professional button hole on each cuff tab and added those buttons. It turned out beautifully...it’s seemless to where you’d never know it didn’t come that way. It’s much more practical, now. However, if I had to do it all over again, I’d keep it original. So, I regret the change a bit, but not much since the jacket is still great and the cuffs are much more practical..a quite utilitarian jacket. I have a NOS M-45, NOS M-51, as well. All of my field jackets, of this type, get so much use because they’re just so damn practical. As a pedestrian in NYC, they come in handy. If I still lived in Indiana, practicality wouldn’t be such an issue.

- Ian

Last edited:

dmar836

I’ve had this minty M51 for 20 yrs. I wear a 41 and it fits me perfectly with a little extra length in the sleeves. I would wear it if it weren’t in such unissued condition.
A6DA02F3-3619-4F12-898B-B11534653623.jpeg

Hmmmm, now if someone had something AAF to trade......

Dave