• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M43 help ID

Happy Hooligan

Just found this one and wanted to know any info on it that you can see. Interesting writing on the back too.
70828D7A-0AEB-49EA-8498-8FA54D73BB4D.jpeg
F898F31C-D00A-47C2-94E3-E1F3C40A298E.jpeg
90430BA4-1850-46D3-BDA3-553976C318CF.jpeg

foster

There may or may not be a contractor label in the lower right pocket. But those usually get washed out fast, and sometimes torn out. If there is a tag remaining in there it could give some more info.

foster

That I don’t know, sorry. I only know a little about the jackets themselves, apart from the markings.

foster

The internal C-8108 marking is an army laundry number so if this is naval, it was surplused from the Army to the Navy (or something along those lines, which seems unusual)

Flightengineer

It seems to me that the printed text also depends on the contractor. I had a 1945 M-43, but it only had a white manufacturer's label in pocket and there was no text on the liner.

Monsoon

The internal C-8108 marking is an army laundry number so if this is naval, it was surplused from the Army to the Navy (or something along those lines, which seems unusual)

Or Air Force. We used the same style laundry mark stamp.

jack31916

Are there any better pics of the stamped instructions? As Foster already said that this is a late war jacket, I do believe that this is a M-1950 jacket due to the overall colour of the jacket and the lining and the inkstamp says: .... Jacket, Field without liner. Apart from the used materials the main difference between the M-43 and M-50 jacket was the detachable liner (not the pile liner). Any buttons or traces of buttons on the inside?

Last edited:

RCSignals

Are there any better pics of the stamped instructions? As Foster already said that this is a late war jacket, I do believe that this is a M-1950 jacket due to the overall colour of the jacket and the lining and the inkstamp says: .... Jacket, Field without liner. Apart from the used materials the main difference between the M-43 and M-50 jacket was the detachable liner (not the pile liner). Any buttons or traces of buttons on the inside?

some in this discussion. Not exactly the same but possibly similar. https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/m1951-with-side-panels.24618/

Tylbor

Beautiful specimen. I love jackets with lettering stenciled or written on them. This M1943 looks similar to mine. I'll take a photo in a daylight and upload it tomorrow.

Tylbor

My M1943 has an instruction printed on the lining, a bit washed out but lettering is still visible. Unfortunately no additional numbers or laundry stamps. In the right lower pocket there is a white label but it's almost completely washed out.
I wasn't aware of this but now I know my jacket is a later variant. Thank you @foster! ;)

IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG