• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422A patch mystery

Hi,

Does anyone recognise this patch on an M422A. It appears to be a winged bull with crossed torpedo and a baseball bat (?)?? Any help gratefully received. Named to Lieut. C.W. Smith USNR. I'm assuming a torpedo Sqaudron..

Thanks

Attachments

• P1330323.jpeg
    P1330323.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 119

B-Man2

David
Looks more like a winged goat to me than a winged bull . We have a few people here who can help you ID this patch . Unfortunately I’m not one of them but I assure you someone will be by to help you.

Skyhawk

One thing that was very noticeable when I was on the USS Midway during Desert Storm. When we went into combat there were suddenly manned 50 cals everywhere along the outer decks. During peacetime, all the mounts were just empty tubes sticking up. It was like... "oh that's what those are for" It certainly gave an air of seriousness when walking around the decks. 50 cals are still a favorite for warding off those close in attacks. For sure 50 cals on the badge and patch.

Wholenineyards

Hi, not offering a definitive solution but although the patch has been found on an M422 flight jacket it is not necessarily a patch of a flying squadron. I thought it might be a local 'pride' patch of Aviation Ordonance/ Weapons Ratings. Goat is Navy, Wings is Aviation, Torpedo and Gun were the weapons of choice for TBDs and TBF/TBMs. .30 cal and .50 cal. Just an Idea. Even less likely is the idea of it having to do with the US Naval Air Station Porto Corsini in Italy (WW1). The base, however, used a winged goat. For your reference:

https://www.uswarmemorials.org/html/monument_details.php?SiteID=1354&MemID=1771

Still a mystery...

VeraVoulik

This insignia makes me think on the first VA-174 "battering rams" but no torpedo there. So, my guess is a VT squadron, but no reference in any of my books.