• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422, M422a and AN-J-3 contract value ,award /completion dates

Ken at Aero Leather

This (I'd assume) is another reason why the recent find of a "Goldsmith Type A-2" appears to have had the sleeve top stitch going under the epaulette rather the the usual stitch over it, especially as the epaulette was almost certainly fitted over the front/back join, rather than butted up against that seam
That reduced the layers to be stitched through by three even at the thinnest point

33-1729

Have you ever seen an AN-J-3 jacket with a US government contract label in it Ken?

Not once, however the large majority of those with missing labels (Say a dozen) had military label size and shape stitch holes marks in the lining.

Firstly, I don't think the commonly seen "Type Designation Sheet" (TDS) as on pages 132-136 of C.G. Sweeting "Combat Flying Clothing" book is a very accurate source of information. (An excerpt is on post #44 of the "Original A-2 Spun Silk Lining" thread.) It states the A-2 was replaced by the AN-J-3 on April 27, 1943 but the actual change document (below) shows otherwise. There are other errors on that TDS already highlighted in this forum, such as the A-2 lining was found to be only cotton and never silk. Just an fyi when using the TDS as a reference.

Capture3.JPG

I have thought it odd that large quantities of the A-2 were made after the AN-J-3 was introduced (below). It's good to be cool, but the military doesn't usually operate that way.

Capture2.JPG

The was a severe brass shortage in the spring of 1943, as obviously seen by the immediate production of a steel 1943 Lincoln penny to save on brass, but I would expect large contractors such as Dubow, Perry, and Bronco would have a large stock of brass-containing zippers on hand. Perhaps the new AN-J-3 contractors didn't have sufficient zipper stock or there were other supply shortages, so the military made more A-2's as the AN-J-3 wasn't able to be produced in large quantity.

By the time the AN-J-3 contractors were ready to produce, for whatever reason, the updated AN-J-3A spec was in place, so they were unable to sell the older spec AN-J-3 jackets to the military. They could save the current AN-J-3 stock by removing the mil-spec label and selling them in the civilian market, while producing the newer AN-J-3A for the military. Perhaps this is why no mil-spec AN-J-3 labeled jackets have been found?

ARNOFF AN-J-3A N288xsa 24248 awarded 6/44 completed 11/44 contract value $62k

BLOCK HL M422a NXS 5134 5/42 8/42 $820k

CHURCH EDMUND M422A NXS5133 5/42 11/42 ( estimated) $356k

FRIED OSTERMAN M422A NOS1406 3/42 1/43 (estimated) $812k

FRIED OSTERMAN M422a NOS1405 3/42 7/44 $1729K

GORDON FERGUSON M422a NOS 88860 6/41 1/42 $107K

GORDON FERGUSON M422a NOS 416 3/42 5/42 ( ?) $1270K

MONARCH M422 NOS 79633 12/40 2/41 $54K

MONARCH AN-J-3A N288S 20570 2/44 8/44 $228K

MONARCH AN-J-3A 288XSA 28665 1/45 5/45 $187K

WILLIS GEIGER M422a NOS 290 3/42 10/43 $3140K

WILLIS GEIGER AN6552 N288S 28628 1/45 5/45 $188K

WILLIS GEIGER AN6552 N288S 32357 5/45 10/45 $355K

Attachments

• W&G 74892 Label.png
    W&G 74892 Label.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 249
So no idea of any maker for the AN-J-3 ???
about 28 years ago, I did some research centering on my curiosity on how the M422 came to be. During that research I came across and had copies made of various documents including the original Navy specification booklets for the M422, 422a, ANJ-3-a, etc. Also various correspondence and other documents. In about 1943 there was a Joint Services Board created to centralize flight gear design, because earlier the AAC and the Navy were each doing there own. This Joint Services Board essentially evaluated the different designs in clothing and flight gear to come up with what we know as the A.N. specification. The ANJ-3 was to replace the A2, however HH Arnold had decided to move away from animal skin based flight clothing for the Army Air Force, which is why instead of ANJ-3 being issued, the B-10 and the B-15 came into use from about 1943 on. I am guessing that any or most ANJ-3's that were made by which ever companies, were sold into the private sector. I have what looks to me like an ANJ-3 based on its design features, but has no label in it. Unfortunately the 100's of pages of copies of research I made, may have been lost in a divorce I went through...but I hope they are in a box somewhere... some of you might find the information interesting.

Maverickson

Hi All,

Since recently receiving a Switlik M-422 jacket I took it upon myself to go to the National Archives. Done earlier this year to in fact substantiate my M-422 as a true USN issued jacket. Especially since that particular make jacket and unlike the other two known M-422 makers (W&G and Monarch) is more often than not omitted from any list that I have every seen of known USN jacket makers.

Come to find out something less than 250 of these M-422 jackets were ever issued to the USN. All were in fact issued during the first quarter of 1941. Judging from Carl's list of contract dollar amounts is a telling indicator of exactly why the Switlik M-422 jacket would have been considered a monetarily (well under the $50.000.00 minimum threshold to have made the list as Carl mentioned) inconsequential contract & simply omitted from known USN jacket contracts.

Needless to say, my Switlik M-422 is arguably the most rare issue intermediate weight leather USN jacket ever made.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

My next trip to the National Archives will be to figure out exactly which M-422 (W&G S-74892 or Switlik 76640) jacket was in fact the earliest issued. Obviously the W&G S-74892 has the lower contract number. On the other hand and because the W&G label includes a prefix verses the Switlik's there is a discrepancy. Until then I'm not completely convinced as which is the earliest maker of the two.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Today was the day I suppose to be making my follow up visit to the National Archives in Washington DC. Ultimately to further my research & find out more about the M-422 jacket contract complete or rather than simply concentrating on the Switlik.

Namely, exactly when each of the five individual M-422 contracts were let for all three of the makers. To include how many were and when they are all made. To include delivery dates. Mover over, I already have all of the pertinent correspondence that would include all USN flight jacket contract info up and until 1942 earmarked

This trip was predicated on attending a nephew's USMC Officers Candidate School graduation ceremony in Quantico VA. Right out side of DC the following day.

However & most unfortunately, the USMC decided to cancel the graduation ceremony which in turn caused me to cancel hotel accommodations. This decision by the USMC to cancel was done at the last minute.

Many family members from all the candidates had already begun to assemble from all over the country. To include my nephew's 88 year old grandfather who flew in from Florida yesterday.

Likewise the National Archives will be closing until further notice on Monday. It looks like this country is quickly going into lock down mode over this virus thing.

Just my luck! Still hoping to get back up there when the smoke clears!

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Bummer! Freak confluence of circumstances. Better luck next time and I hope you can complete your project, Dave!