• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422 best manufacturer

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

I convinced my "ministry for financial affairs" I desperately need a M422 repop jacket.

Project-kick off was confirmed by my wife :) now I'm on to get to see which might be the best repro

could you gentlemen pls share your thoughts which M422 would be the best for someone who wants it as realistic and detailed and possible?

AERO?

ELC?

...?

Any hints aprechiated ...

stanier

I have a feeling Bill Kelso should be on your list Thomas.

I think their golden colour mouton and red knits look well cool on an M422. I really like the G&F version. Would love to see one in person, so to speak.

B-Man2

Thomas
Here’s the EBay item number. It’s my listing . If you have an interest let me know .
I would do better on the price for a forum member.

B-Man2

Hi Steve
Working on it from my cell phone , difficult to break the code on posting a link. I posted the Ebay item number instead.

Grant

Repro M422 or M422A?
Good Wear is the only one reproducing the M422.
IMHO, of all the makers, Good Wear makes the most accurate WWII USN jackets.
Better yet, if you can find your size go with an original. Even if you have to have the lining, knits, zip restored, there's nothin WWII USN goatskin.

Steve27752

Thomas
Here’s the EBay item number. It’s my listing . If you have an interest let me know .
I would do better on the price for a forum member.
Unfortunately, nothing on that number. All I could find was 48" .

Skyhawk

We have the M422 in 4 contracts at Headwind Mfg Co.
Gordon & Ferguson, H.L Block, Willis & Geiger, and Edmund Church. They are all patterned from the original jackets and top notch quality. Our M422 jackets are hand made by Steve Sellers from Greatest Generation Clothing, USA. They are available at headwindmfg.com

Carl

I have an Aero M422 (?) In Conelly hide if thats of any interest as its wayyyy to big for me
Am i allowed to say that (?) Sorry if i broke any rules !! :(

Skip

Hey Thomas, the G&F is s personal favourite, pointed collar, dull red lining looks sharp but with enough room to be comfortable. Fried Osterman is another with some unique features and a cracking fit for slim blokes, ET Church is also another fav, more rounded collar, and a more roomier fit.

Maverickson from here is making me a ANJ-3 based off a Monarch pattern, so he might do a m422a, you'd just have to ask him him though, you can see some of his work on eBay. He does excellent very detailed work.

Skyhawk

Yes Dave is the expert on all things Monarch no doubt! His restorations are great as well.
Here are some photos of Steve's work from some past jackets. He just finished up a Gordon & Ferguson M422a a couple of weeks ago for a customer. He does outstanding work IMO:
Block-1a.jpg

Block-4.JPG

Block-5.JPG

m422a-10.JPG

m422a-11.JPG

m422a-12.JPG

G&F-Collar.jpeg

Regards,
Jay

Attachments

• Block-3.JPG
    Block-3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 402
  • G&F-Collar-2.jpeg
    G&F-Collar-2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 515

Silver Surfer

i concur, regarding dave's work. recently, he made a aviator-mc jacket based on monarch patterns. the jacket is mostly stitched together with butted seams [french stitching]. besides bill kelso, and freewheelers, dave is the only maker that uses this very time elegant and consuming technique. his work is extremely detailed, and will work with you regarding sizing. i might add that dave is a walking encyclopedia of all things monarch. steve sellers is another detail obsessed jacket maker, and work is flawless. he made a 1930s button up hb for me about a year and a half ago that was perfect. i have jackets made by bk, as well, and imho, the bk line is under rated. bk is yet another detail oriented jacket maker of the highest quality.

Skip

Seriously great work Steve has done their Jay. Thats one of the best looking G&F repros I've seen. I see you've got the Block pics up on your site, be good to have the G&F and the ET Church to get a visual of the differences between contracts.

Skyhawk

Seriously great work Steve has done their Jay. Thats one of the best looking G&F repros I've seen. I see you've got the Block pics up on your site, be good to have the G&F and the ET Church to get a visual of the differences between contracts.

Thanks Matt! I agree and we will post up some photos of the Church and the G&F as soon as possible. I have not been able to get a photo shoot with them yet and just have the production photos that were sent to the customers.

In the photos above it is a mix of Steve's work not just one jacket. Photo #1 is the H.L. Block, Photo #'s 2,3,4,5 are the W&G and photo #6 is the G&F.

Regards,
Jay

Ole

Banned
Repro M422 or M422A?
Good Wear is the only one reproducing the M422.
IMHO, of all the makers, Good Wear makes the most accurate WWII USN jackets.
Better yet, if you can find your size go with an original. Even if you have to have the lining, knits, zip restored, there's nothin WWII USN goatskin.

Grant,
IMHO you are wrong and Good Wear do not make the most accurate WWII USN jackets.
I will give you some reasons why.

I bet you the lining is the wrong color, wrong material and most probably wrong weight.
The back of the collar is missing the USN markings. The knits are the wrong color and his waistband looks shorter than the original. The thread he uses is the wrong color. The inside pocket placement is off as is the pocket shape. Most importantly, the leather he uses is grainy and all, but different quality (it has different finish).
To be fair the only thing close to original is the pattern, the zipper and maybe the mouton fur. Everything else is off.

i.e. not worth $1,899.00 USD IMHO.

See the photos below.

Goodwear Morarch M422 repro

lining.jpg

Mint Original Monarch M422

post-105-1294104960.jpg

Goodwear Morarch M422 repro

collar_back.jpg

Mint Original Monarch M422

post-105-1294105550.jpg