• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-65 thread

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
a2 fng said:
Hello David,i also have a USMC stamped M51.never seen one before,it has no cloth labels or even ink stamps anywhere so was very puzzled but did find a very faint USMC ink stamp on the lower left inside front. The weird thing is it has Army insignia stitched to it??? Are these quite rare?

Hello A2 .... yes, that's it, no label, just the hard to read ink stamp. I believe they are quite rare.

There's a good thread on the US Militaria forum ....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... entry20853

a2 fng

deeb7 said:
a2 fng said:
Hello David,i also have a USMC stamped M51.never seen one before,it has no cloth labels or even ink stamps anywhere so was very puzzled but did find a very faint USMC ink stamp on the lower left inside front. The weird thing is it has Army insignia stitched to it??? Are these quite rare?

Hello A2 .... yes, that's it, no label, just the hard to read ink stamp. I believe they are quite rare.

There's a good thread on the US Militaria forum ....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... entry20853

Great link,many thanks.

Im certainly not going to start collecting USMC specific stuff thats for sure as i have way way too much junk as it is but interesting as to why the USMC seperate inkstamps etc when the jkt looks exactly the same as the Army issue??

watchmanjimg

Marines in wintertime during the '50s got just as cold as Army troops, hence the need for such garments. Additionally, the Army's budget has traditionally been much larger than that of the Corps, and this wouldn't be the first time the Marines adopted items developed by the Army. I'd say the Marine M-51 is somewhat less common than the Army version, but I'm not sure I'd consider it particularly rare. As evidenced by the Marine-stamped jacket with Army insignia mentioned earlier in the thread, over time many of these probably wound up in the same pile.

Tim P

my OD M65 is currently liveried a la Travis Bickle. my woodland one has all the insignia from my time with the USAF SP's.