• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51 field jacket

Atticus

Yes. It is exactly what I've been hunting and I've got it in the crosshairs.

Thank you, Peter!

AF

Atticus

My 1970 M-65 arrived today. I'm happy to say that it appears to be almost NOS. There is no wear on the jacket anywhere--not even around the cuffs or collar. There's no patch marks. There's no stains or stink. The zipper is shiney and still a bit stiff. I don't know what brand it is, but it is paperclip styled, is silver colored, and has horizontal slashes on the slider. Maybe someone here can ID it from my discription. All of the tags are still in the jacket and the 1970 DSA number is easily ligible.

And it fits my currently fat ass.

This old field jacket wasn't cheap, but I'm happy I got it. I've been wanting an older M-65 for some time now but could never find one in XL that wasn't just a rag. Not to wax Fedora Lounge here, but I can't wait to see how this jacket wears with faded, ripped jeans and my sweat-stained, old Milwaukee Braves cap.

Thanks, Peter.

AF

Tim P

I think the M-65 would work well with a beat up red sweat, faded blue jeans and hi top brown work boots.

you could add a bedroll for chic ;)

a2 fng

At Last :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Got a liner for my M51 after years of trying to get one for a half decent price-loads of cheap ones to be had from the US but the shipping is the killer :( :(

Mine definately isnt mint with the odd hole/tear here and there but that doesnt realy bother me.

Never having handled one before i was quite shocked to see how different it was to the very efficient lightweight M65 liners.

Seems quite heavy and the white fur type stuff inside doesnt seem that comfortable to me.Outershell is of ripstop material but feels coarser compared to the M65 one.

DSCF6577.jpg

DSCF6578.jpg

DSCF6579.jpg

DSCF6580.jpg

DSCF6581.jpg

Jake431

If anyone knows of what tree to bark up for a M-51 with oh, say, a 48 in chest, let me know!

Thanks,
-Jake

rb3586

35 views, and not yet snapped up, a used XL, 1968 Contract year, Aggressor sage green colored M-51 (misidentified by seller and it has a steal of a bin price).

One of the latest M-1951 jackets, under DSA contracts I've seen so far.

DSA-68-C-0079, So-Sew Styles, Inc as the contractor.

I've nothing to do with the seller, just web surfing around. I'm medium guy, so no way this could work for me. HTH.

Ebay item: 190255667790

Happy Hooligan

just picked up my first m-51. .. I think.

The tag is gone but it came with a liner too.

It seems pretty big but since the tag is gone, I can't tell for sure. I can wear it and it fits my 44 long frame.

Those that have them.. can you measure them and give the listed size so I can figure out which size jacket I have?

I'll take a few pics later...

kevlarg

Mine is labeled a size small regular but it seems really long to me. The jacket comes way down my thigh, much longer than either my m-43 or m-65.

Peter Graham

kevlarg said:
Mine is labeled a size small regular but it seems really long to me. The jacket comes way down my thigh, much longer than either my m-43 or m-65.
Exactly my experience with a small regular. Happy Hooligan, here are the requested measurements -
Armpit to armpit = 20"
Across shoulders = 18"
Length down back = 30"
Arm length = 23".
Hope this helps.

Happy Hooligan

I measured mine and got

shoulders 21"
Sleeve 25"
Top collar down 30"
Chest 23.5"

what size is that? Large? Large Long? It's pretty much a 44 but with the liner it would be smaller of course...

rb3586

Depending on the coat's age, it can be a medium regular or a large regular. The M-51 went through several "design and cut changes" during its service. The best bet to identify, would be the labeling and the buttons. Is it the black screen printed or multi-white labeled nomenclature, dished or fat buttons? Just remember it was to meant to be a mid layer, of the cold weather uniform; plus its being worn as a stand alone item.

a2 fng

I agree with what others have said-All my M51s make no sense size wize compared to what is on the labels.
Ive had labelled small/short jkts bigger/longer than ones labelled medium/long :? :? :? :?

Dont know why but ive just bought another bloody M51 :( :( :( :(

This one is a bit of a mystery to me as it has no labels and i cannot see any traces of stitching where labels would have been either.
On closer examination i have found some faint black ink stamps-Short Medium approx 10cms down from the collar on the inside lining.Also stamped on the lining lower left hand side is a black box with what looks like(smudged/faded)-SUPPLY DEPARTMENT
US.MARINE CORPS
If it is USMC the jkt has a gold on black US ARMY tape machine sewn above the left chest pocket.

Zipper is a nickle heavy duty Conmar,buttons look early M43 type but in green.Lower pockets are lined in what looks like OD woolen shirt material-any ideas anyone??