• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-445B?

tda003

I'm posting this here with some misgivings. This jacket is up for auction. I've never heard of an M-445B before. If legitimate and not a repro, it's in phenomenal condition, possibly new condition:
M-445B.jpg
. It's nothing remotely close to my size and I won't be bidding on it regardless of what it actually is. However, it's piqued my curiosity. Here's the label

MikeyB-17

Repro. There were M-445B’s, and Willis and Geiger were a military contractor during the war (not sure if they actually made M-445B’s though). The name was resurrected for repro jackets a while ago, I think they were swallowed up by US Authentic, and I’m pretty sure that’s one of those-I had an M-444, not the most authentic, but a decent jacket. Can’t tell from that, but the sheepskins had 1960’s paperclip zips.

tda003

Actually, I thought so. I low balled a bid on a WG repro M-422A short time ago and ended up with it at under $200 including premium and shipping. It has beautiful leather and mouton collar. I noticed it doesn't have the "USN" stencil under the collar nor the required 7 lines of reinforcing stitching. They're not noticeable when wearing the jacket which is probably why they were omitted, likely to save manufacturing costs. However, a quite decent repro overall.

If the M-445B is as well made, I'd probably bid if it were my size.

tda003

No. Unfortunately, the only picture is the one that I posted and there's no direct communication. It puts the on site bidders at a distinct advantage.

tda003

Sometimes, you have to back into authenticity. An old website showing the Willis and Geiger "The Collection" shows shows that they made an M-445A as well as A-2, G-8, G-1 and B-3 jactets. No M-445B. So it looks as if it may be authentic vintage.

MikeyB-17

Yeah I agree. What little I can see of the zip looks like a bit of the bent brass of a paperclip style job. And the fleece has a similar texture to the M-444 I had.

John Lever

Most W&G repros don't have the reinforced collar backing.

MikeyB-17

I gotta admit I’m starting to wonder. Haven’t seen a pic anywhere of a repro W&G M-445B. 445 yes, B no. And the leather sections don’t look like the stuff on the repro versions. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been talking out my arse. :)

tda003

Has anyone actually seen an M-445B repro. Seems like a lot of trouble to make a one off including a single label. I've never seen a WG M-445B, let alone a repro. Anyone. Just doesn't seem logical. I don't even know the difference between 445, 445A & 445B. what are they?

B-Man2

I don’t know if I’m helping or adding to the confusion but I own a repro W&G, but it’s an M-444. So here’s the tag . The jacket looks similar to the one posted .I know it’s not relevant but, I also have the original issued shearling flying pants that go with the jacket .
0D2EE028-8625-4774-A98E-FF88D158FD57.jpeg
4307EB98-C6EE-4AEC-ABE3-05A7353F74D1.jpeg

tda003

Just for the hell of it, what's the difference between an M-445, M-445A and M-445B. That could help. However, I don't understand someone going to that much trouble for an obscure flight jacket. There's just no market for it or there'd be a few more out there. WG didn't make one as a repro.

Pilot

Just for the hell of it, what's the difference between an M-445, M-445A and M-445B. That could help. However, I don't understand someone going to that much trouble for an obscure flight jacket. There's just no market for it or there'd be a few more out there. WG didn't make one as a repro.
There are books and docs… took the writers and editors a lot of time and efforts to compose these…
One of those books is the famous ‚Full Gear‘..,
This book has most probably all contracts all labels and contracts and all photos of what’s available …of major contracts …but its called… huuuhhh expensive.. ( screw it)..
Many promises and empty words to edit a similar one… ( nothing.. … since … 2015… or longer…).
Wet dreams!..

Last edited: