• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-445A Contacts With Variations

tda003

I've been considering a winter jacket and had looked at the M-445A that 5* has. I noticed that it has two buttons on the bottom below the zipper. Later, doing separate research unrelated, I saw an auction lot of personal effects of Admiral Wm. "Bull" Halsey. Included was a flight jacket belonging to him. The label inside identifies it as an M-445A made by H.L.B. Corp. N.Y. It is attached near the collar. This M-445A has no buttons. The contract number is not visible and actually does not even appear to be on the tag. The fleece extends to the bottom of the jacket. The wind flap, fleece inside, appears to be a separate strip from the rest of the fleece. The collar is round and appears to be about an inch narrower than other M-445A jackets that I've seen

In another thread, Jorge shows another (and beautiful) M-445A by the same company (H.L.B. Corp, Contract # 92192). The label is stitched on the leather at the bottom left (button hole) side. Clearly, this has button holes at the bottom whereas the Adm. Halsey version does not. The fleece appears to be a single piece extending through the wind flap.

There is a "Buzz Rickson" version of the M-445A flight jacket which, likewise, has no bottom buttons.

Is there any information on various contracts, makers, manufacture dates, variations, private contracts, etc. available. Enquiring minds (one anyway) want to know.