• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-444 and M-445 help

PTP

One of my volunteer responsibilities at a local military museum is to research artifacts which are donated and to be catalogued. We have two USN flight jackets, a M-444 Light Winter jacket and M-445 Heavy Winter Jacket (both made by Monarch) which I am researching. What I have found on the internet is spotty. Can anyone provide any details on these jackets, such as materials, manufacturers, contract numbers, or interesting details about the jackets (for example I've learned about the abrasion diamonds on the sleeves of both of these jackets.) Also what is the difference between the M-445 and M-445A? I know I'm casting a wide net here but anything would be of help. Thanks!

johnwayne

Due to the lack of response it would appear we know little about those 2 jackets! I be surprised if no one comes back with any info but its been a while since I watched the John Chapman DVD so I cant recall if they get coverage on that(?) nor do I recollect reading much in the various books I have, in fact in Maguire & Conways American Flights jackets there is only one pic in the ‘History & Development’ chapter under which it says ‘A less noted WWII naval flying jacket was the fleece lined M445A’ apparently issued with M446A shearling trousers! Best of luck with your appeal.

John Lever

M445 has diamond arm patches with a full length zip. The m445a has arm patches similar to Anj4 with a short zip and double buttons at the base.
Both are trimmed in goatskin.
I think m445a's were made by Monarch, Fried Ostermann and Willis and Geiger.
Not much info sorry

PTP

Thanks to everyone... I've been able to piece together enough for what I need, but if if anyone can add anything to help complete the puzzle I would appreciate it.

PTP

Since these are early WWII Navy aviator jackets and fairly rare, I thought I'd include a few pics. Photos of M-444 and M-445 Navy jackets.

Attachments

• M-444 back.jpeg
    M-444 back.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 249
  • M-444 front.jpeg
    M-444 front.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 345
  • M-444 tag.jpeg
    M-444 tag.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
  • M-445 back.jpeg
    M-445 back.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 234
  • M-445 front.jpeg
    M-445 front.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 265
  • M-445 tag.jpeg
    M-445 tag.jpeg
    779 KB · Views: 199

MikeyB-17

Well played for posting those! They look to be in excellent shape for USN jackets-most of them don’t seem to survive too well for some reason.

bazelot

Since these are early WWII Navy aviator jackets and fairly rare, I thought I'd include a few pics. Photos of M-444 and M-445 Navy jackets.
They look like they are in stellar condition. The M444 was modified with the addition of lower back reinforcements