• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-43, M-51 and M-65's

Cobblers161

Over the past 12 months or so I have acquired a growing taste for M-65's and this understandably has led to an interest in earlier incarnations.

One aspect I can't quite fathom however is why does an M-43 go for a lesser price than an M-65?
It appears that M-51's command the highest prices. They are all three wonderful jackets but I would have assumed an M-43 to be the most sought after.

Also I am about to receive a mint original M-43 and it looks as though original liners are rarer than hens teeth. Can anyone recommend a quality repro liner that would fit?

And finally......... It's getting a bit tater's over here with frost due and I just thank my lucky stars I discovered the M-65 with liner. Both warm and Cool! I love it!

watchmanjimg

I'm not sure there's any rhyme or reason to the asking prices on these. Our own Platon has pointed out (rather emphatically I might add) examples of M-65s reaching stratospheric prices, so clearly there's a cult following for mint examples of this type in particular. In my experience all three models can run the price spectrum. That said, of the three I've paid the most for certain M-65s in my collection and I'd argue that on any given day one is generally less likely to encounter the first model M-65 without epaulets than the M-43, M-51, or other M-65s.

foster

I know of only two replicas of the pile liner for the M43 field jacket.

One is offered by At The Front and it requires modifications to look correct.

The other was recently announced by WWII Impressions and the images I have seen of it are much more accurate.

Let's not forget there was also an M-1950 field jacket. It was briefly manufactured, and is more like an M43 with added buttons inside to accept a buttoned-in liner. I used to own one but sold it about ten years ago to a friend whose collection was incomplete without it.

watchmanjimg

foster said:
Let's not forget there was also an M-1950 field jacket. It was briefly manufactured, and is more like an M43 with added buttons inside to accept a buttoned-in liner. I used to own one but sold it about ten years ago to a friend whose collection was incomplete without it.

Excellent point. Actually the Olive Drab Shade 7 MQ-1 jacket was introduced as essentially an M-43 with liner buttons, later standardized as the M-1950. A subsequent version in Olive Green Shade 107 called the "Jacket, Field, without Liner" was quickly succeeded by the M-51. The distinctions among the M-43, MQ-1, M-1950, and Jacket, Field, without Liner are so slight as to go unnoticed by many, particularly when labels are faded and/or liner buttons were added or removed along the way.

I have an M-1950 that was worn by a USAF Master Sergeant. I know the label is legible but I'll have to dig it out to check whether it retains the liner buttons.

Peter Graham

Steve, you're a man after my own heart. I've owned examples of all three and I've gotta say my favourite is the M-65. Dug mine out today for the first time in many months and buttoned the liner in to attend a union rally. Warm as toast. Post some pics of that M-43 when it arrives. I must get myself another one. Here's a link you might find useful in your search.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... le-liners/

Phantomfixer

Came across a weird animal this weekend...what looked like a M-1950/51..Silver zipper, buttons on cuffs, collar like the M43..stamped in ink med reg...no tag but on one inside corner was stamp in ink again...USMC Supply and I think the year 1951-1952...

edit just did an ebay search this is what I found...think I am going back for it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-RAREST-POP ... 7675.l2557

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
watchmanjimg said:
Tim P said:
that does not have an m43 collar, it appears to be pure m51

It's stated as an M51, which is about the only accurate information offered by the seller . . .
So it's just an M51 and nothing special about it?

I suppose the USMC variant is less commonly encountered than the typical Army version, but the seller wildly overstates its rarity. In any case I've seen examples of the USMC-marked M51 in US Army use with full insignia.

I guess it's an interesting piece for those seeking USMC-specific items, but given its use by the Army I'm not sure it's truly unique to the Corps anyway.

Phantomfixer

I can't explain the value gap between a M43 and a M65 or why a M65 would fetch a better price than a M43...Maybe Stallone had a role in bringing the M65 to the forefront.... :eek:

I do know I enjoy wearing the field jacket...any generation...but like the collar on the 65...the way it flips up...pocket location is tops too...for standing around...parades. football games etc....

I have attached the parka hood several times but take it off...too bulky...if it is ever needed I would just wear the parka...

Atticus

I like the looks of the M-51 over all three jackets in the OP. But if I'm going to wear a field jacket with the liner in, I'll choose an M-65 everytime. The M-65 is much lighter and somewhat warmer than the '51 with liner, and much warmer than the '43.

I like to wear an unlined M-51 over a cotton hoodie. Warm and light.

AF

A

Anonymous

All subject jackets are great and I especially love the M-65.
I have 20-30 of them and are all from mint (unworn) to excellent condition. I have one example from almost every maker. I am still missing a few, they are super hard to find (in mint/excellent) condition. I wish to buy only mint but I have been cheated sometimes by the sellers' description, who describe mint/unworn and in reality it's worn/excellent. Anyway, I just swallow it because I am bored to the trouble of whining, return/refund, bad feedback and all that thing.

What I am trying to say is, if you guys want I can make a comparison review, showing the details of each jacket etc. They are all different, e.g. the fabric/color is different even in examples from the same maker. Then there's different zippers, snaps, etc.
I am thinking that even a collection of pictures showing all the labels etc might be useful for some. The problem is that this review is going to be super lengthy due to the amount of jackets. If you guys want I could try it some day. Please let me know.

foster

I would be interested in the M43 jackets, in particular. I once owned a few of the pattern jackets of the M43. Wishing I had never sold them now, as they were a bit more elegant with curved pocket flaps.

Peter Graham

I once owned an early M-43. This jacket was actually made in 1943 and had a khaki lining plus all labels intact. I sold it before I realised how scarce early M-43's are.

Phantomfixer

A question then about M-43's...did they all have a tag under the collar? I have one that appears to never had a size tag or white spec tag sewn on. It is stamped 36 R in black ink about 3 or 4 inches below the collar...
Did a European country copy the M43 and use it? Thought I read somewhere that was the case...thinking I might have a copy...the auction is dead ...no harm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121213329982?ss ... 1560.l2649

hold the phone...just found a white spec label in the right lower pocket..it is washed out cant read it..Is this were they put em? or a second one?

watchmanjimg

Phantomfixer said:
A question then about M-43's...did they all have a tag under the collar? I have one that appears to never had a size tag or white spec tag sewn on. It is stamped 36 R in black ink about 3 or 4 inches below the collar...
Did a European country copy the M43 and use it? Thought I read somewhere that was the case...thinking I might have a copy...the auction is dead ...no harm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121213329982?ss ... 1560.l2649

hold the phone...just found a white spec label in the right lower pocket..it is washed out cant read it..Is this were they put em? or a second one?

Norway copied the M43 and other US WW2-pattern items (I've seen wool gloves and an M1 cartridge belt), but I believe there were US-produced examples with stamped size and specifications so I wouldn't count yours out solely on that basis.

Peter Graham

The Dutch or Belgian armies copied the M-43, or both, I'm not sure. If my memory serves me well, the spec tag was indeed in the right lower pocket, so maybe you have an original US jacket. Post a few pics and I'm sure we'll work it out.