• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-43 Background

Chandler

I've been meaning to post this query for a while now. Let me preface by saying I've been drawn to the U.S. M-43 since I first saw "Battleground" back in the mid-70s and that's why I bought an M-65 in high school.

I've since gotten my hands on a Norwegian knock-off that I wear once in awhile, and I'm always tempted when ATF has a sale on their repro.

But back to my question, and a big reason I don't always grab the M-43, why didn't the military choose to use a zipper on that particular item?

The M-41 had a zip. The Tanker had a zip. The parachutist coat had a zip. Even subsequent models of the field jacket used zippers -- so why not the M-43?

Anyone know?

MauldinFan

I once read the Quartermaster report for all the 1943 changes for uniforms and field gear (there were a lot of experimental pieces of field gear that didn't hack it) and one they noted on zippers was when they failed in the field, you couldn't repair it. So, the M43 had buttons due to those zipper failures in the field.
As I understand it, zippers improved and were made sturdier after the war, so the M50 modified jacket included them.

CombatWombat

I think I've got a M-43 with a dirty big brass zipper AND buttons...but I think it may have been a modification like the wool blanket liner in the bottom pockets....
And I also have a Danish or Norwegian M-43 jacket that I actually like more than the American design due to the bigger buttons on the pockets and sleeve adjusters as well as the nylon tape around the cuffs (a major wear area on the m41/43/51 jacket)

Chandler

...as well as the nylon tape around the cuffs (a major wear area on the m41/43/51 jacket)
Can you help me understand what you're talking about here? I'm looking at my Norwegian M-43 (had a Norwegian flag patch sewn on the sleeve when I got it, so I'm pretty certain of provenance) and I'm not sure what the "nylon tape around the cuffs" refers to.

CombatWombat

Can you help me understand what you're talking about here? I'm looking at my Norwegian M-43 (had a Norwegian flag patch sewn on the sleeve when I got it, so I'm pretty certain of provenance) and I'm not sure what the "nylon tape around the cuffs" refers to.
Well around the cuff of the sleeves there is green nylon tape stitch around the edge of the cuff..... looks like the same stuff seat belts are made from but with a tighter weave and it's green.
I'd have to go to my storage unit since I keep my militaria collection there and take a photo to show you what I mean.
The later M75 jacket has exactly the same thing so it's possible mine was produced later than your one

Chandler

Well around the cuff of the sleeves there is green nylon tape stitch around the edge of the cuff..... looks like the same stuff seat belts are made from but with a tighter weave and it's green.
I'd have to go to my storage unit since I keep my militaria collection there and take a photo to show you what I mean.
The later M75 jacket has exactly the same thing so it's possible mine was produced later than your one
Okay, I definitely don't see anything like that on mine. Still like to see a picture for reference, when you get the time.