• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422a in action

Grant

Had the chance to go up in a friend's USN SNJ-4 (USN version of the T-6) and just got around to making a print. If you ever get the chance to go up in one I highly recommend it as you'll have new found appreciation for what it was like to learn how to fly one of these crates. I think I was wearing a Church or G&F M-422a when the photo was taken.
SNJ-4.jpg

MikeyB-17

Hey Grant,
Great isn't it? I flew one (a Navy SNJ) in Florida in 2006:-

T-6inverted.jpg

It was too hot for any kind of jacket when I did it!

DSCF1035_078-1.jpg

(Edit to add 2nd pic)

Cobblers161

Lovely photo, nice and crisp, the detailing is superb, was it taken on 5x4? If not it's an excellent scan.

Couldn't help but clock the boots... Would one care to divuldge the maker?

Grant

hey chicken, thanks. how are those Lee's breakin in?
cobblers - yeah I took the photo with my old sinar 4x5 field camera. some of us still photograph old school way.
boots were a pair of army service shoes.

Andrew

Nice shot Grant, you can't beat film for some jobs and the jacket's a perfect choice for that outing.

I went up in one a few years ago as well, it's amazing how bumpy the ride is from the inside, and you bcome conscious that its just a collection of tubing with a thin skin and an engine. Aparently they're quite tricky to master and can be unforgiving on landing, glad the Pilot told me after we got back.

Grant

Hey Andrew,
That's cool you and mikey gotta chance to fly in an SNJ-4 as well.

Yeah, my friend told me it's a heavy crate and has nasty stall characteristics. He sure made it look easy though doing loops and barrel roles that seemed effortless. I couldn't get over how noisy it was in flight and how everything seemed like it was ready to shake loose. Maybe the fact that I wasn't sitting on a parachute had something to do with it? LOL

If I got to choose between trainers I've flown in I much prefer flying in the Stearman or Tigermoth.

johnwayne

I know that feeling well - got to fly in one in Kissimee a few years back. Was on holiday there and had some money set by to do a parachute jump (back home in the UK) that my wife treated me to for an Xmas present (kind of one way ticket you might say!) but had yet to sort - anyhow wandering around Tom Rielly's museum etc and theres this sign 'Warbird rides' - think it was $150 at the time. That seemed a much better option than a few minutes falling to the gorund so went for it.
Out comes this white haired older guy, we gave the prop a few turns and in no time up we went for probably the best fairground ride of my life!! I was told not to take the video camera or we couldn't do any combat manouvres and we actually did a victory roll and loops, he even let me take control and at one point we 'targetted' a light plane taking off below and came in 'behind from the sun' and pretend shot him up good (the pilots enthusiam kicked in at that point as he mouthed machine gun noises thru the headset!!!).
The cockpit was open for much of the time and I remember asking 'where was my chute' to be told we wouldn't be flying high enough to use one.
To this day its poss the best thing Ive ever done (females excluded!!!!) and I've promised myself the P51 experience - does anyone know what that costs?
At the time you could never do that here due to CAA rulings etc but I know there are several co's now here where you can. So to anyone thinking of doing it - go for broke!!!
Wayne

MikeyB-17

I think you may have done it at the same place I did, Wayne-it's now called Warbird Adventures-at Kissimmee airport, yes? They've updated the operation a bit these days-wingtip and tail cameras, for instance, and they've built a whole new museum since I was there. I have a video of my flight, the pic I posted is a frame grab. I had an hour, including aerobatics-I got to do loops, rolls, wingovers, the lot, with me flying it! As for the Mustang, I looked into that prior to my trip to Florida-I was all for it until I found out the price. It was considerably more than the SNJ flights-I forget how much, (don't even remember what I paid!) but certainly over a thousand dollars. Enough to put me off, anyway. One of the places that does it is right next door to Warbird Adventures at Kissimmee, Stallion I believe they're called. I know there are other outfits doing Mustang flights now-Collings Foundation are one-I don't know what they charge. My first choice was actually a B-17 flight, but there weren't any in the area when I was there-I thing the SNJ was more fun though!

johnwayne

Hence the Mikey B-17 call sign eh? Have been inside Sally B but not flying!! Trying to get down under to see old mate and I know theres a company there (sometimes advertises in Flypast mag) where you can take a P51 ride. It's one of those things in life like getting my first original A2, that I've gotta do but in the meatime, I'm just having play at it on the PC flight simulator!!!
I gather at Goodwood in Sussex you can take a Harvard/Texan/SNJ ride - I'll have to check that out but somehow it wont be quite the same as that Florida weather!!!
cheers
Wayne

Grant

If you can, find a ride in a Stearman. There's nothing like hanging by your shoulder harness doing loops in an open cockpit biplane!