• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422 Inside Pocket - Anyone Use It?

SteveN

I'm putting together ideas on what kind of AN-J-3 repo I'm going to buy, and it seems that the originals came in either Navy or Army style, with the difference being the epaulets, wind flap and inside pockets.

I'm leaning toward the A2 style and it got me wondering about the inside pocket on the Navy versions. I can see perhaps putting a wallet or money in there if you are in an area prone to pick pockets, but the front pockets would probably be just as good in that case.

Does anyone use the inside pocket on their Navy style jackets on a regular basis? f so, what do you keep there?

billwong

I keep my wallet or phone in it. Much easier to pull the phone out from the slash pocket than the front pocket.

Technonut2112

I've found the pocket practically tailor-made to carry my handgun (I live in a state where no concealed carry permit is required) while wearing one of my USN types. The AAF version of the AN-J-3 does not have the facing required for a USN type inside pocket unless custom-made. Aero does a VERY nice AAF version of the AN-J-3 upon request (EDIT: For additional $$ over their USN version price). Ken had a few period jackets to pattern from, and makes a great repro. I've been very happy with mine.

EDIT: The inside pocket is also quite useful for any items one does not want crushed. The front patch-pockets are pretty flat, and tend to press on things inside them IME. Most USN type leather flight jackets I've owned have / had a spacious inside pocket which tends to not crush things inside as much.

EDIT: Here's my Aero AAF version AN-J-3 (no inside pocket):

IMG_8897 (2).jpg

IMG_8895 (2).jpg

Here's a pic of a period original (not my added notations):

01-1.jpg

And a pic of an AN-J-3 worn in-service:

2952248895_c9ae82b0da_b.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

The AN-J3 is probably one of the most comfortable jackets available . I have an Aero and I’m extremely happy with it. The jacket offers freedom of movement and doesn’t bind around the shoulders . It fits very nicely . The pocket is useful for most things and is nice to have.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

If one wears a size 42, there is currently a period AN-J-3 on eBay in great shape (needs a zip-puller) that I would give my eye teeth to own if it were my size:

Technonut2112

The story goes that W&G (among others) made a contract run of AN-J-3 jackets like the one above listed on eBay in anticipation of being issued. Ultimately, the jackets were never offically issued, and sold-off to dept. stores like Abercrombie / Fitch. Any contract labels were removed prior to the sell-off. Many have turned up over the years with no label at all, or a dept. store label. If the jacket currently on eBay were my size, and I had the $$, I would pretty much bid whatever it would take to own it, since I really like the style and history behind the jacket which almost took the the A-2's place. There are a few in-service pics I've seen where they were obtained and worn like the one I posted above.

EDIT: Here's some documentation relating to the AN-J-3 previously posted by a member that I saved:

ANJ3Doc.jpg

EDIT: This excerpt from a free google preview page of C. G. Sweeting's book 'United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945', states that the AN-J-3 was indeed used by both the Army and Navy during the latter half of the war:

Screenshot_2019-12-16 United States Army Aviators' Clothing, 1917-1945(6).png

Last edited:

SteveN

The story goes that W&G (among others) made a contract run of AN-J-3 jackets like the one above listed on eBay in anticipation of being issued. Ultimately, the jackets were never offically issued, and sold-off to dept. stores like Abercrombie / Fitch. Any contract labels were removed prior to the sell-off. Many have turned up over the years with no label at all, or a dept. store label. If the jacket currently on eBay were my size, and I had the $$, I would pretty much bid whatever it would take to own it, since I really like the style and history behind the jacket which almost took the the A-2's place. There are a few in-service pics I've seen where they were obtained and worn like the one I posted above.

EDIT: Here's some documentation relating to the AN-J-3 previously posted by a member that I saved:

View attachment 28549
Interesting that they include commercial flight jackets on this document. I guess this means that officers were able to wear them and not be out of uniform. It would be interesting to track some of those down as well.

dujardin

when I request Mark to realize a combo jacket for me; one of my request was to have an inside pocket

simply for my wallet

and never regret my decision

zoomer

I asked Steve Sellers to put the same type pocket into my Cockpit 37J1 (which already had G-1 style underarm gussets) and it's really convenient.