• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-421A Navy Flight jacket

bazelot

I just received my M-421A summer flight jacket today. The Manufacturer is "Popular Mfg" I never heard of this manufacturer. It is in very good condition considering the age. Couple of stains but no rips.
BU3yDdQBGkKGrHgoH-EIEjlLl09jBKPrfwB.jpg

BU3yEUQmkKGrHgoH-DcEkJw2KwwWBKPrfzY.jpg

Jacket056-1.jpg

Jacket058-1.jpg

Jacket059-1.jpg

Jacket060-1.jpg

Jacket062-1.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bazelot said:
The Manufacturer is "Popular Mfg" I never heard of this manufacturer.

Neither had I, Tom ....

Contract number NOs-420A is from fiscal year 1943, just in case you were going to ask. ;)

Popular Mfg also had an earlier contract, 85798 in 1941.

Peter Graham

Very nice Tom. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time and I've bid on a few on ebay but always lose out. I'll get one yet. Interesting that the zipper is painted the same colour as the jacket.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Very nice Tom. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time and I've bid on a few on ebay but always lose out. I'll get one yet.
Really? Even in period photos, which seem fairly uncommon, these don't look very stylish to my eyes. The idea of a lightweight summer flight jacket, and one that falls slightly below the waist as well, was very appealing to me, but in reality I don't think they measure up. I'd recommend the ANJ2 over the M-421A as I think the rounded collar and 4 pocket design (and additional sleeve pocket) is an improvement, but I still didn't like it enough to keep my BR repro.

bazelot

THose are great jackets. This one fits me well actually but the wife actually said that I look like a gay bum in it. I don't have anything against the gay part but I resented the bum part :). It does need to be ironed!
They always sell for a lot on Ebay and I hope I got a good price on that one. I used to own another one named to a Marine pilot and I sold it to JC. Always regretted.
I have to admit that the back design of the jacket is a bit funky but i love the front.

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
Very nice Tom. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time and I've bid on a few on ebay but always lose out. I'll get one yet. Interesting that the zipper is painted the same colour as the jacket.

I had never seen a zipper pianted beige before. Even the teeth are painted :). It looks like it is original to the jacket.