• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1951 jacket - at last !

Officer Dibley

I've just bought another - a medium reg - as the large is big and great with a fleece under for cold weather but too big for a t-shirt / sweatshirt only under it. I think i've got the m-51 bug !

It looks to have never been washed and is a little grubby. Dry clean or washing machine ?

Cheers
Dave

B-Man2

I've just bought another - a medium reg - as the large is big and great with a fleece under for cold weather but too big for a t-shirt / sweatshirt only under it. I think i've got the m-51 bug !

It looks to have never been washed and is a little grubby. Dry clean or washing machine ?

Cheers
Dave
Dave
I would give it a treat and dry clean it.
It will come back all nice and neat, pressed & creased.

Flightengineer

Yes, the early M-51s often molt heavily after machine washing. I had an early contract M-51 jacket and it gave a fade as on jeans after washing. At the same time, the M-51 of the latest 60's pattern, despite the fact that it also from 100% cotton and can be simply washed at a low temperature without pressing in the machine (as NYCO M-65) .

1955 pattern (made in 1956)..fast fade after washing

1965 pattern, one of the last M51 contract.
After two machine washes fade a little.
One of my favorite field jackets.

Both was bought in NOS condition :)

I also had m51 from 1952 first pattern, but I sold it a year ago.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

My local drycleaners refused to take the jacket !
So, based on advice here, i machine washed on a "hand wash" setting then gently tumble dried it.
Came out beautiful.
I think as it's a later m-51 that it came out with no discernible fade and an even colour all over.
Picks when the sun shines for sure. Rumour is tomorrow !

B-Man2

Yes, the early M-51s often molt heavily after machine washing. I had an early contract M-51 jacket and it gave a fade as on jeans after washing. At the same time, the M-51 of the latest 60's pattern, despite the fact that it also from 100% cotton and can be simply washed at a low temperature without pressing in the machine (as NYCO M-65) .

Dimitry
Those look awesome. How do you guys keep finding NOS jackets . You and Dave are wizards!!
Nice finds

B-Man2

D087A8DF-1019-4BB4-BC61-D9BD59563544.jpeg
Thanks
Burt, thank you, these were random finds.
Well, and I have many good friends in different countries, including the United States ;).

Dimitry
This was the only M-51 I’ve been able to find . Not great but it does have that “Been there done that look”:)

Flightengineer

Burt, nice jacket, I always sincerely believed that the field jacket looks better when it worn, than when it is absolutely new (in this case the owner look like a recruit :))
Of course, it is more pleasant to buy a new one and wear it yourself until it acquires the appearance of a “well-worn” jacket. But second hands in this case is a good choice.

EmergencyIan

Fantastic! Great fit!

- Ian

EmergencyIan

I took my NOS M-51 to the dry cleaner. No problem. They took care of the liner, as well. After 60 plus years of sitting around, cleanings were n order.

I’m surprised the dry cleaner wouldn’t clean yours, Dave. It’s just cotton.

- Ian