• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1951 jacket - at last !

dmar836

Oh, no. I was actually asking about mine. Didn’t mean to sound as sarcastic as usual. I think $300 would be pretty high for any field jacket but I’m no source. Sorry if it sounded bad.
If you think about the liner, most, if not all, military jackets are fairly muted on the inside - presumably for a camo effect when unzipped.
Dave

EmergencyIan

Oh, no. I was actually asking about mine. Didn’t mean to sound as sarcastic as usual. I think $300 would be pretty high for any field jacket but I’m no source. Sorry if it sounded bad.
If you think about the liner, most, if not all, military jackets are fairly muted on the inside - presumably for a camo effect when unzipped.
Dave

Forgive me, Dave. My mistake.

What you say about the liner makes sense from that stand point. And, since the terrycloth looking side is so rough, I think it’s the only practical way to go. I was really surprised by that the first time I handled one of the liners in question.

Yes, yeah $300 or so would probably be the top end of value, keeping in mind that with each passing year there are fewer mint examples to be found. That said, the things are built like tanks and cotton, so they’ll still hold up to regular use, but that’s an aside.

EDIT: I may wear my original 2nd pattern HBT jacket/shirt when I go to vote this morning.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Forgive me, Dave. My mistake.

What you say about the liner makes sense from that stand point. And, since the terrycloth looking side is so rough, I think it’s the only practical way to go. I was really surprised by that the first time I handled one of the liners in question.

Yes, yeah $300 or so would probably be the top end of value, keeping in mind that with each passing year there are fewer mint examples to be found. That said, the things are built like tanks and cotton, so they’ll still hold up to regular use, but that’s an aside.

EDIT: I may wear my original 2nd pattern HBT jacket/shirt when I go to vote this morning.

- Ian

THIS IS AN ASIDE to the subject at hand, but I mentioned that I may vote in my WWII 2nd pattern HBT jacket/shirt this morning. Well, I did. Here is the evidence:

45620642_10204950824008539_8078573573830082560_o.jpg

- Ian

raulm1961

The army tape is original but not the name tape. That was from Mash in Osaka. I ordered the stencil and ink. I did that in honor of my cousin. No not a KW vet but he did graduate from West Point (class of'72 if i remember correctly) and was stationed in Korea for a while. The jacket and the liner are in perfect condition. No tears no holes no stains. Nothing. And the cuffs also perfect. As if the jacket and the liner were issued yesterday. I only wish I knew the year they were made. As you can see the specs are gone on both.

Saludos from Rialto.

EmergencyIan

The jacket and the liner look super! I think the pictures of them are just fine. Thanks for sharing your jacket with us. I can tell that you are really proud of it.

- Ian

Last edited:

raulm1961

Hi Ian. I love my m51. With the liner it is so very warm. It was beause of you that I bought an m65 liner for the jacket. You see a couple of months ago someone was asking if an m65 liner would fit an m51. You said yes indeed and I ordered one. And you were right. With an m65 liner it's also very warm and slighly less heavier. But with the original m51 liner holy cow that jacket gets VERY heavy and like you said it's built like a tank. I also bought an original hood and an army insulated helmet liner cap. Very very warm when I'm wearing all of that. All I got to do is wait for cold real cold weather here in So. Ca. For that I still have to wait a little bit longer. One question Ian if I spray Scotchguard to make it waterproof it won't damage or stain the jacket? Sorry this is way too much writing and reading just for a jacket.

EmergencyIan

Hi Ian. I love my m51. With the liner it is so very warm. It was beause of you that I bought an m65 liner for the jacket. You see a couple of months ago someone was asking if an m65 liner would fit an m51. You said yes indeed and I ordered one. And you were right. With an m65 liner it's also very warm and slighly less heavier. But with the original m51 liner holy cow that jacket gets VERY heavy and like you said it's built like a tank. I also bought an original hood and an army insulated helmet liner cap. Very very warm when I'm wearing all of that. All I got to do is wait for cold real cold weather here in So. Ca. For that I still have to wait a little bit longer. One question Ian if I spray Scotchguard to make it waterproof it won't damage or stain the jacket? Sorry this is way too much writing and reading just for a jacket.

Oh yeah, I guess I did say that in regard to the M-65 liner. I experimented one day with that and discovered that it did in fact work. The M-65 liner is so good. However, the M-1951 field jacket only feels right with the corresponding M-1951 liner. It’s a heavy and warm liner, that’s for sure!

Honestly, I have no idea about using Scotchguard on the jacket. I have no firsthand experience using it. I’m not sure who to consult about that. You might try a trusted dry cleaner, if you have one. I believe they can treat jackets to waterproof them. I say that because I know that some or all dry cleaning methods can remove that type of waterprooofing treatment. It can’t hurt to ask. I’d never thought of it until you asked. I have read that the waterproofing protection is removed from sateen she’ll of the M-1943 field jacket when it’s dry cleaned and/or washed. The nice thing about the 50/50 cotton and nylon M-1965 field jackets is that they are water resistant due to the nylon and, of course, that protection doesn’t wash out. If I’m going to wear a field jacket in decidedly wet weather, whether it’s rain or snow, I pick up my M-65. It’s hood even comes in handy for extra protection.

- Ian