• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1948 Parka - The Fishtail 'Mod' Parka!

MeachamLake

Does anybody else like these? They don't get talked about too much, which is a shame!

My dad has been a lifelong fan of Paul Weller (The Jam, the Style Council etc) so I'm accustomed to seeing these parkas and other mod gear at said concerts when I've been along. If nothing else, it's hard not to admire the pride and attention these guys have in their appearance.

I'm no mod myself, but I've always liked the design from a military history standpoint. This company I found looks to make a reasonably priced and nicely done repro, with a choice of real or faux fur...

https://www.fishtailparkas.com/stonetail-m-1948-parka.html

Alternatively you could splash out £825 on a Real McCoy's one...very nice but these prices are nuts! :p

https://www.realmccoyslondon.com/uk/m-1948-parka.html

Anybody else know of any good repros out there? Any pics of you wearing them?

Pilot

I do ....and I am hunting down an early Korea War version...blanket lined, non detachable fur trimmed hood..
in a wearable large size...Still a few originals arround in Korea and Japan...but dont be shy in opening your vallet....:):):)

EmergencyIan

The Korean War era fishtail parkas, the M-51 parka, aren’t tough to find, as far as I can recall. It seems like I’ve run into many of them on eBay. This is the type of parka seen in Quardrophenia and Ice Station Zebra. The earlier parkas are rare because they weren’t particularly successful...M-1945, M-47 and M-48 fishtail parkas.

- Ian

Geeboo

From my research, there are over 11 types of liners for M48 - in playing M48 - IMO it is liner - orientated.
The hood-less version seems even much much more rarer. A USMC tested report shown how it works & an original for reference.
Given its high px, It is purely a collector item. In terms of appearances, its no epp & a side sleeve pocket doesn't look "much" difference from a M51
It is SO RARE in the sense that it has so many versions of liners - A LOT OF EFFORT- given its very limited time span of production.
it runs even larger [squarer] than M-51. Some capped measurements from previous eBay sales FYI
sz.S C=58”, Sh=20”,Sl=25”, BL=34” -may have been shortrned
sz.M C=58”, Sh=21’, Sl=25”, BL=39”
Good luck in hunting, Pilot !:)

M48.jpg

M48_1.jpg

Last edited:

Geeboo

I forgot - Pilot , are U the one having a gas chamber - a separate room for WWII collectibles - at home ?

Flightengineer

I only have M51 parkа and several warm hoods with fur (fasten into thin shell's hood). M48 very rare thing (if talk about original). A few years ago it was fashionable, I bought it for my son. Hard to find not overpriced original in good condition in small or x-small size to wear as just parka not as military overcoat over field jacket...Several times used it by myselfe to walking in the park any years ago... Interesting thing, but not "mine" thing.

Geeboo

The problem with M48 is that even sz. small would have a chest size of 60", making them not quite wearable, but very collectible !

Pilot

Will have a look out in all known antiques shops in Tokyo and Osaka, sure they have all needed.

Mike Ritson

From my research, there are over 11 types of liners for M48 - in playing M48 - IMO it is liner - orientated.
The hood-less version seems even much much more rarer. A USMC tested report shown how it works & an original for reference.
Given its high px, It is purely a collector item. In terms of appearances, its no epp & a side sleeve pocket doesn't look "much" difference from a M51
It is SO RARE in the sense that it has so many versions of liners - A LOT OF EFFORT- given its very limited time span of production.
it runs even larger [squarer] than M-51. Some capped measurements from previous eBay sales FYI
sz.S C=58”, Sh=20”,Sl=25”, BL=34” -may have been shortrned
sz.M C=58”, Sh=21’, Sl=25”, BL=39”
Good luck in hunting, Pilot !:)

View attachment 10231
View attachment 10232
Beautiful is that an EX M48?