• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LW Foster 1958? G-1 advice needed

dinomartino1

LW Foster 1958? G-1
CONTRACT NO.DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2134
MIL-J 7823 (AER)

I can get this for around US$165, I may have to replace the knits which may or may not be okay with darning, the mouton collar and lining are in good shape and the leather looks very nice but the conmar zip has problems.
I need advice about the zipper.
You can see some teeth missing at the top and also near the pocket, now I have had just about every zipper problem except for missing teeth, the owner says it still zips up okay and the zip does not off the track does that sound right.
"I zipped it up when I was taking the photos it zipped up all the way without trouble I've worn the jacket a number of times and didn't have a problem with it"
MASH does not do these type of aluminium conmar
Always hard to work out price of repairs vs price of jackets it always seems to be more than we budgeted for.
Anyone have this contract G-1 what would you say about the cut and fit.

s-l1600-18.jpg

Teeth missing at the top but will not affect anything, the collar appears to be in very good condition.

s-l1600-19.jpg

The missing teeth

s-l1600-18.jpg

s-l1600-20.jpg

917_k

I’m not sure on the rarity or otherwise of this particular contract, but the early jackets can be harder to come by, so for $165 id definitely be buying this. The condition of the collar looks superb, which is way more important for me (knits can be easily repaired or replaced, rotten collars are more difficult). The zip is a bit of a pain, but these look better unzipped in my opinion (in fact I can’t recall having ever worn any of my G-1s zipped up).
So in conclusion: buy it and I’m jealous you guys on the other side of the pond have more ready access to such jackets.

B-Man2

Consider the zip as needing to be replaced because either sooner or later it will have to be replaced . You may get by for a while but it’s going eventually go, particularly if the jacket is a daily user. The collar looks good and the knits look serviceable .

917_k

For some comparison, here is an LW Foster AER series G-1 currently for sale on U.K. Ebay. Its a clothing dealer so appropriately marked up and I think they’ll struggle to sell it at that price, but gives a rough idea of the ‘value’ of these:

Silver Surfer

sometimes you can pry off aluminum teeth [aluminum is slightly flexible] from a donor short zipper and affix them to the area where the teeth are missing....assuming that the cloth tape is not frayed. its not really all that difficult to set the teeth properly because the indentation marks are on the tape where the original teeth were. all in all,, the jacket is being offered to ya for a more then reasonable price, and if the need arises, the zipper can be replaced by Dave or Steve. knits? just darn them so that they don't continue to fray.

Grant

This contract Foster fits like most 7823 series - a little shorter in the torso and trimmer in the chest compared to M422a or 55J14 USN jackets.
FWIW, this contract isn't rare so unless you have a replacement zip lined up it's not worth the trouble/added expense. I've never seen teeth fall out of a 50's Conmar like that - really strange.

Pilot

As a reference, feel free to check on Ebay for LW Foster G-1.
All sizes and prices all qualities.
So you can decide what investment for restauring or buying a perfect one.
As a reference and for your info.

dinomartino1

I’m not sure on the rarity or otherwise of this particular contract, but the early jackets can be harder to come by, so for $165 id definitely be buying this. The condition of the collar looks superb, which is way more important for me (knits can be easily repaired or replaced, rotten collars are more difficult). The zip is a bit of a pain, but these look better unzipped in my opinion (in fact I can’t recall having ever worn any of my G-1s zipped up).
So in conclusion: buy it and I’m jealous you guys on the other side of the pond have more ready access to such jackets.
Australia actually and your lucky to get much here repro or original.

Flightengineer

Hi Dino. I have G-1 jacket of this contract also in size 40. It fits me perfectly (I'm 180 cm height, 78 kg weight, no beer belly :), chest 100 cm or 39 in
The fit of this contract - tight in the torso with wider shoulders than the later G-1. The leather is excellent, I really like it. Mine is completely original except that I had to replace the destroyed by moth muton. This is nice jacket.
I have spare knits from Larry and they are identical to this original ones. So if you buy this jacket the only problem is the zipper. The price seems acseptable to me.

dinomartino1

As a reference, feel free to check on Ebay for LW Foster G-1.
All sizes and prices all qualities.
So you can decide what investment for restauring or buying a perfect one.
As a reference and for your info.
I already have and a range of prices, shoulder chest etc measurements are not alway a good indicator of overall fit which is why I asked, different makers different fits.

dinomartino1

This contract Foster fits like most 7823 series - a little shorter in the torso and trimmer in the chest compared to M422a or 55J14 USN jackets.
FWIW, this contract isn't rare so unless you have a replacement zip lined up it's not worth the trouble/added expense. I've never seen teeth fall out of a 50's Conmar like that - really strange.

The rarity is not an issue for me, rather the overall condition for a daily wearer, mouton is very difficult to find here on vintage clothing compared to europe and the US.
Getting another conmar is what worries me and like you say the cost.

Flightengineer

Thanks, shows the cut really well wide shoulders and trim waist.
I really like the VP-21 and the whiting field patches, what is the triangle patch.

Not VP but VR-21 :)
Triangle is a rare group patch. The jacket was owned by Jerry Donevant - he had a very long career in the USN including Vietnam and then as a civilian pilot for Continental Airlines.

Flightengineer

By the way, I have not found anything about 119 Carrier Group since I got this jacket. Impossible to ask Jerry - he is in eternal flight.
So if anyone knows the history of this group I would be very grateful for any info.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi Dino,

I have some examples from this specific contract. I have to say that they tend to fit nicely, and are true to size, in my opinion one of the best 7823 in terms of construction and fit. In this case, your level of OCD will have to decide, for 165 $us and if you are going to be satisfied wearing it as is, then it’s a good price, but if you are going to replace zipper (hard to find), knits and cover the ghost patching on the chest with another patch plus the labour fees that will increase the cost probably twice (if not more) and perhaps not worth all the stress. Instead for that you can get a better one in original condition with some patience. But again, they fit really nice.

Brent

I've never seen teeth fall out of a 50's Conmar like that - really strange.

My Cagleco now has missing teeth after washing it. Not the dumbest move I've ever made but real close. :oops: I'd love to get it fixed but aluminum Conmar zips are hard to come by.

Regards,