• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LW Dubow

Clark J

Anyone else ever or still does own one ? Had one a looong time ago turned black when the top coat wore off.Do the sleeves tunnel on those seems to me it had a wide sleeve at the cuff knit that made it tunnel.Seems to me if my crappy memory serves me we had a few long threads on old Stu's jackets.Any in put is welcome .CJ

MikeyB-17

I’ve seen pics of a LW A-2 where the top coat wore away to reveal black leather underneath. Can’t remember anything else, but at some time I have definitely seen such a thing on a forum.

Silver Surfer

hahahahaa. over priced, over engineered hh tanning, and not so accurate, imho. many many years ago, i purchased stu's personal jacket that he had for sale. it was already a coupla years old, but still stiff and unwilling to break in. heres the good part, before sending the jacket to me, stu signed the inside of the pocket flap, like bfd. anyhoo after a year of wear, i sold the jacket to jerome [older members remember him?]. somehow, stu heard of the sale, and went ballistic on me [no bs] about "how could you sell my signed, personal a-2?", and plenty more. some real screwy emails ensued from him. ya cant make this kinda shit up. if i remember correctly, jerome sold it as well.......so, somewhere, out in the world is a personally signed by stu a-2. lw seems to do a good business, as a lotta guys go for stus macho "takes a man to wear one" crap. and want a jacket the will never ever break in properly.

Juanito

My experience is that Stu is rather odd to deal with. I actually visited his "store" in Manhattan in 1998 or 1999 and was struck that there wasn't a single jacket in there, just way fashion trendy Hawaiian shirts and rather flamboyant urban cowboy gear. It was a complete antithesis to the image he presents with the jackets.

I had been dealing with him since probably 1990 or so having bought two of the HH A-2s by then and a Trojan motorcycle jacket. Seeing him in person in the store was an odd experience; I left with a totally different impression of him.

Anyway, yes accuracy is not LW's strong suit, but I sure can't say anything bad about the jackets and I haven't experienced this black finish issue.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yeah, was well made, solid and a bit too... robust! Like wearing a P-47, in a good way I guess.
Circa 2004/5
Dubow_Wearing2.JPG

Hh121

My experience is that Stu is rather odd to deal with. I actually visited his "store" in Manhattan in 1998 or 1999 and was struck that there wasn't a single jacket in there, just way fashion trendy Hawaiian shirts and rather flamboyant urban cowboy gear. It was a complete antithesis to the image he presents with the jackets.

I had been dealing with him since probably 1990 or so having bought two of the HH A-2s by then and a Trojan motorcycle jacket. Seeing him in person in the store was an odd experience; I left with a totally different impression of him.

Anyway, yes accuracy is not LW's strong suit, but I sure can't say anything bad about the jackets and I haven't experienced this black finish issue.

And what's the impression you got?

B-Man2

Never dealt with Stu , but I’ve had 3 different LW jackets, that I acquired through eBay. Aside from what’s already been said regarding accuracy, authenticity and over engineering, Ive found the jackets to be “bulletproof “. If I had one jacket to wear through every type of nasty weather it would be a LW. You can beat the piss out of them “Forever”and they will last. Never experienced them going black. Of course Good Wears , Aeros and Eastmans will hold up pretty much the same way.

Juanito

And what's the impression you got?
Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz? A New Yorker through and through; gruff, short, a product of the environment, and maybe insecure. From a business standpoint a marketeer catering 100% to the segments he's serving, and that's what surprised me; he's dynamic enough to do it, although I am not sure well...but that was 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Juanito

Never dealt with Stu , but I’ve had 3 different LW jackets, that I acquired through eBay. Aside from what’s already been said regarding accuracy, authenticity and over engineering, Ive found the jackets to be “bulletproof “. If I had one jacket to wear through every type of nasty weather it would be a LW. You can beat the piss out of them “Forever”and they will last. Never experienced them going black. Of course Good Wears , Aeros and Eastmans will hold up pretty much the same way.

All that and a bag of chips. The only jacket that comes close in terms of durability is the Langlitz, but the stitching is tighter on the LW and I think the overall craftsmanship is better; that said, Langlitz probably produces 100 times as many jackets per year.

Last edited:

Bombing IP

Clark I had one in goatskin thing was as tough as nails you could tow a car with it . I felt that it would never break in nor ever get any character . It was sold when I needed to raise money for something else . I would like to get one in horse hide . Thumbs up from me if your thinking about one .

BIP

Hh121

Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz? A New Yorker through and through; gruff, short, a product of the environment, and maybe insecure. From a business standpoint a marketeer catering 100% to the segments he's serving, and that's what surprised me; he's dynamic enough to do it, although I am not sure well...but that was 20 years ago.

You are right, I feel somehow he is insecure person.

Earloffunk

I have an A2 made by LW and I love it. No black undertones. I just rediscovered it this summer - haven’t worn it i a few years but now it’s back on my back depending on the weather. Had the cuffs replaced and to be honest it was a pleasure dealing with Stuart.