• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lots of TANKER JACKETS, 416th Bomb Group, 9th AF

ausreenactor

I have to admit i’m not a huge fan of the massive long bi-swing back - though i see its’s practicality.
I’d have thought swapping something as iconic as an A-2 that probably (?) cost more to produce than a cloth jacket would be a step down.
My point was who on this forum would trade an A-2 for a tanker jacket ? I’ll happily spend £85 on a tanker if anyone is up for swapping their ELC or GW :)

Once it leaves the factory that Bi-swing is never the same again.

Some original Tankers are fetching A-2 prices on eBay... Will swap a DD/GW Bronco for an original Tanker?

Officer Dibley

Your now talking apples & oranges so appear to have missed my point. Obviously i’d rather have an original tanker over any repro A-2.

Personally i’d still rather have an original A-2 over an original tanker or an ELC/GW repro A-2 over a BR tanker but that’s just me.
I was just asking why a pilot if they were issued and A-2, would swap for a tanker. Or a tankie would want an A-2. The A-2 is of no use to a tankie or infantryman.

Anyone got pics of a pilot on leave in London wearing a tanker jacket ?

269sqnhudson

Not sure they necessarily swapped them. The pilots of the 20th, 55th, 31st at least definitely wore both concurrently, the Tankers primarily being worn as flight gear during early 1944, the A2s often being seen in shots taken around base etc.

269sqnhudson

media-401282.jpg
Ace_Capt_Bud_Mahurin_56th_FG_in_P-47D_Thunderbolt_1944.jpg
Johnson-3-690_640.jpg

Cocker

Who would willingly trade their A-2 for a tanker jacket ? :confused::eek: Was there that much difference in warmth ? The tanker was hardly windproof

Plenty more warmth! The A-2 is just a windbreaker, won't keep you warm in a frozen cockpit at 30.000ft. The tanker has a heavy wool blanket lining and is somewhat akin to the B-10 in terms of warmth.

Grant

Elton kept his A-2, but he said it was useless flying in the colder months. I miss talking to him about what it was like flying the Jug and his roll as one of the ground attack fighter bomber boys.. He always thought I was a freak wanting to know about flight jackets! One thing he never mentioned and I didn't find out until after he died were his awards: Air Medal with 13 oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying and Cross and Purple Heart. Truly one of the greatest generation.

269sqnhudson

Your now talking apples & oranges so appear to have missed my point. Obviously i’d rather have an original tanker over any repro A-2.

Personally i’d still rather have an original A-2 over an original tanker or an ELC/GW repro A-2 over a BR tanker but that’s just me.
I was just asking why a pilot if they were issued and A-2, would swap for a tanker. Or a tankie would want an A-2. The A-2 is of no use to a tankie or infantryman.

Anyone got pics of a pilot on leave in London wearing a tanker jacket ?

Not London but Chartres Cathedral. Off-base anyhow!

w-396-reithal-henry-chartres.jpg

ausreenactor

Patched a second pattern with a 2nd Armored Div patch to use as a beater for this year's AusArmourFest. First time I have had the guts to throw a BR around a dirty, dusty paddock.. Well that's the plan.. at this stage.

CBI

I love my Good Wear Tanker John made for me. It's one of only three or four he has ever made.

In re trading a Tanker for an A-2........have both!