• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Fitting Original A-2

Silver Surfer

some but not all dubows. i have both a first contrat dubow and second contract dubow [ remakable like the hides used by platon for his dubows] and both are on the thinner side. however, there may very well have been examples made with heavier hides. agreed about the horween location and dubow location being the logical tie in.

Ken at Aero Leather

Gents,

I know this seems silly, but the goal here is to stop with the fabrications and outright falsehoods that seem to stem from this business. Somewhere it was once said that Ken had orignal
Patterns from the old Aero. That is a patently false statement. Many many more examples abound as well, if you care to look.

Personally, and not for nothing but, I think this should be a fun and enjoyable hobby, and would love to have a place where the information is available, and can be trusted. It can’t merely be trusted because someone’s corporate interests are at stake if they don’t tell the customer what he wants to hear.
DD
Moth to a Flame.jpg

No way that Chromexcel would have been used for jackets for the USAAF or USN. It's been around as a sporting boot or shoe leather for a long time but no-one would have used it for military clothing. Where you saw the term Oil Tanned leather in old LL Bean catalogues for boots and moccasins this is the product they were referring to.

For a start its pull-up qualities would have meant maintaining a Uniform appearance (deliberate capital U) would have been difficult. Plus there's the thickness and then the cost. The military didn't even run to any kind of water retardant leather for boots. Why would they do so for jackets?

Horween was perhaps most famous for tanning football leather.

Ken at Aero Leather

No way that Chromexcel would have been used for jackets for the USAAF or USN. It's been around as a sporting boot or shoe leather for a long time but no-one would have used it for military clothing. Where you saw the term Oil Tanned leather in old LL Bean catalogues for boots and moccasins this is the product they were referring to.

For a start its pull-up qualities would have meant maintaining a Uniform appearance (deliberate capital U) would have been difficult. Plus there's the thickness and then the cost. The military didn't even run to any kind of water retardant leather for boots. Why would they do so for jackets?

Horween was perhaps most famous for tanning football leather.

100% Correct

jack31916

"Funny" how this thread developes...

OP shows us a picture of a pilot in a loose fit A-2 jacket and the discussion goes about stretching leather, wallets, tanning leather, cost per jacket etc. etc.

I like the original pic and the only logical explanation is that the flyer in the pic wanted to make sure he had a comfortable jacket for the hours and hours of flying during missions.
He probably didn't give a damn about his droopy shoulders, tunneling sleeves, stylish, athletic appearance.

ZuZu

The classic VLJ conversation! Again- it's always a case of not looking closely at details. The jacket in question absolutely does not have droopy shoulders and really is barely on the "big" side. Are you guys looking at the same 1000's of WW2 pics I am? 80-90% of jackets pictured in WW2 photos and films are loose- just pulling a couple random photos from my collection illustrates this:

only 10% look like this:- what I would call the Modern Look:

DiamondDave

I doubt anyone here ever questioned whether he cared or not. It’s called conversation.

Nor did he have a choice. Everyone acts like the cadets went through bins or racks of these things to choose the right tunneling or trim fit, and that is just not the case. Some E-6 barked the question“SIZE?” and then threw something at this poor kid upon receiving a response. Nothing else.

ausreenactor

Gents,

I know this seems silly, but the goal here is to stop with the fabrications and outright falsehoods that seem to stem from this business. Somewhere it was once said that Ken had orignal
Patterns from the old Aero. That is a patently false statement. Many many more examples abound as well, if you care to look.

Personally, and not for nothing but, I think this should be a fun and enjoyable hobby, and would love to have a place where the information is available, and can be trusted. It can’t merely be trusted because someone’s corporate interests are at stake if they don’t tell the customer what he wants to hear.
DD

Here we go again.

B-Man2

OP shows us a picture of a pilot in a loose fit A-2 jacket and the discussion goes about stretching leather, wallets, tanning leather, cost per jacket etc. etc.

I like the original pic and the only logical explanation is that the flyer in the pic wanted to make sure he had a comfortable jacket for the hours and hours of flying during missions.
He probably didn't give a damn about his droopy shoulders, tunneling sleeves, stylish, athletic appearance.
YES!! BINGO !!!

ZuZu

True- but by your logic we should all be satisfied with Coopers and Avirex's- how WW2 airmen felt about their jackets is WAY besides the point...

jeremiah

it’s ok when things go off on a tangent. Maybe some could relax a bit more when that occurs. Think of the alternative. Every topic has too many redundant replies. Besides. They ALWAYS get back on track eventually. Those that don’t might not have been that interesting to begin with. Just my Umble opinion.

Edward

a lot of great information and opinions develop and makes for good reading. its better than sifting through 20 replies of great photo, cool pic. love that picture. I for one found this thread very interesting and fun to read! all input is great no matter if it goes a bit off topic.. in the end I still read replies about A-2 jackets, fit and leather types... all great stuff! this is such a small forum with so few contributors that I am never bothered by additional slightly off the topic replies. except for a few occasional easily offended newbies (questionable members) I think most here enjoy the round table discussions... drinks on me! :D

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Indeed! Here we go again, as he has nothing to add Trevor simply belittles things that are beyond his grasp. Stellar mediocrity my “friend”.

DD

Wow. Plenty to add; however, I had elected to confine my resposes to the what I see as a mostly negative impact of Jeff's return, which appears to have happened out of nowhere. The 'resurrection' was timed perfectly with your public grievances with Ken at Aero. It was generally pretty calm until Ken made one post that upset a few as it crossed a previously unidentified line. Apparently that line is one directional as Aero were the target of all Jeff's initial posts. It must grate him that his perfect Aero is an Acme? It must also be an offence that Aero thrive in a competitive market while you are in 'negotiations' for a jacket making future.

My 'grasp' is that it was a better atmospheric when you made jackets and seldom posted here?All your spare time these days appear to be spent entwined in Jeff's agitational posts. That's my 'grasp' on things.

DiamondDave

Wow. Plenty to add; however, I had elected to confine my resposes to the what I see as a mostly negative impact of Jeff's return, which appears to have happened out of nowhere. The 'resurrection' was timed perfectly with your public grievances with Ken at Aero. It was generally pretty calm until Ken made one post that upset a few as it crossed a previously unidentified line. Apparently that line is one directional as Aero were the target of all Jeff's initial posts. It must grate him that his perfect Aero is an Acme? It must also be an offence that Aero thrive in a competitive market while you are in 'negotiations' for a jacket making future.

My 'grasp' is that it was a better atmospheric when you made jackets and seldom posted here?All your spare time these days appear to be spent entwined in Jeff's agitational posts. That's my 'grasp' on things.

Spoken like a true Beta Male. Dismissed.
DD