• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Fitting Original A-2

Southoftheborder

A couple of years ago I made myself a wallet using leather swatches I got from various companies. The outer was CXL HH and the inner card slots were goat and Aero jerky. I doubt that I can stitch as well as you can but using a sewing awl with integrated thread it came out really well. I've got enough swatches from Eastman alone for another one when this one wears out.

Ken at Aero Leather

CXL would not have been used during the war. As far as I know it is a later invention of the current family member running Horween. That spec is best used for boot shanks, and uppers.This leather did not exist in the 30’s & 40’s. And yes Horween was one of dozens of contractors for the AAF.
DD

Chromexcel dates back to at least 1913

Ken at Aero Leather

I have been dying to use a piece of shell cordovan they make for a wallet. But just having justified buying it. Anyone want a wallet?
As far as I recall in the 1980s a matched pair of shell butts ran out at around $150.............don't quote me on that but I do recall it was and eyewatering sum

..............and sorry for dragging the tread away from A-2 subject matter although my comment was purely to illustrate how the precieved fit changes with wear

DiamondDave

Chromexcel dates back to at least 1913

Not in garment format. That is boot leather, and always was.
DD

DiamondDave

Again to quote Arnold Missner "Until the 1960s CXFQHH had been regularily used for clothing, nobody has asked us for any for 20 odd years" That was in 1985 when we bought our first few skins

So you actually believe that the US Government bought the top of the range items from every tannery? Really? For a jacket that they were willing to pay $7 to $8.50 per piece of. Not hardly. Sorry.
DD

Ken at Aero Leather

Not in garment format. That is boot leather, and always was.
DD

I believe you refer to Chromexcel Steerhide
We have to go through a thousand feet or more to find a few front quarters of Chromexcel Horsehide heavy enough for Boots, that's why Aero rarely has Horsehide Boots

First lot in many years

CoopDog

BTW. The photo I posted in the original post was from the 381st BG web site. There are a TON of photos on there and, I assume, on many other web sites from bomb groups and fighter squadrons from the war. It would take forever to look through them all. But I am sure there are many rarely viewed photos out there. Maybe, when I retire, I will make a project out of putting together a catalogue of photos showing jackets close up.

Ken at Aero Leather

So you actually believe that the US Government bought the top of the range items from every tannery? Really? For a jacket that they were willing to pay $7 to $8.50 per piece of. Not hardly. Sorry.
DD

Keep Up Dave

Where did I ever suggest the AAF used Chromexcel, £1000 to your favourite charity if you show me one such quote of mine

Ken at Aero Leather

I think Aero (Scotland) may have made half a dozen A-2s in Chromexcel in 35 years, it takes a hell of a lot of persussion on the part of the customer for us to agree to make one.
We probably turn down an "order" for one such combo at least once a month

Ken at Aero Leather

Here's one of that half dozen or so, might be the latest, dates from around 5 years ago

Chromexcel Horse A-2.jpg

DiamondDave

Keep Up Dave

Where did I ever suggest the AAF used Chromexcel, £1000 to your favourite charity if you show me one such quote of mine

And yet if some basic logic is applied, it all becomes clear, wouldn’t you agree? See, this topic thread is about the Type A-2 and its fit, as well as the weight of the leather used. Not a huge leap is it Ken? Ah logic.
DD

DiamondDave

Gents,

I know this seems silly, but the goal here is to stop with the fabrications and outright falsehoods that seem to stem from this business. Somewhere it was once said that Ken had orignal
Patterns from the old Aero. That is a patently false statement. Many many more examples abound as well, if you care to look.

Personally, and not for nothing but, I think this should be a fun and enjoyable hobby, and would love to have a place where the information is available, and can be trusted. It can’t merely be trusted because someone’s corporate interests are at stake if they don’t tell the customer what he wants to hear.
DD

DiamondDave

I think Aero (Scotland) may have made half a dozen A-2s in Chromexcel in 35 years, it takes a hell of a lot of persussion on the part of the customer for us to agree to make one.
We probably turn down an "order" for one such combo at least once a month

Ken,

i find this to be a very interesting statement. Since I know for a fact that an awful lot of customers both here and on TFL are laboring under the impression that they have purchased CXLFQHH jackets from your company. Very interesting indeed.
DD

saucerfiend

Were they using Horween horsehide in WWII?
From my own experience, my ELC fit better after it settled in.
Dubow made A-2's from Horween Horse hide. Which makes plenty of sense because of location. My understanding is that many of their A-2's were on the thicker side.

Brian