• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loops on the first N-1 Deck Jackets

Peter242

Hi all,

does anybody know how/for what the loops (under the arms and on the waistline) on the first N1 Deck Jackets were used ?

Greetings
Peter

Thomas Koehle

Not sure which loops you are reffering to?

As far as my knowledge is the USN used a pretty unique procedure to separate garment per owner during laundry - this is why on most of the Navy garment you find holes to pull a string to keep jumper and dungarees together

Maybe those loops are something similar?

Peter242

Hi Thomas - i means those loops....
Loop_Waistline.JPG
loop_arms.JPG

ausreenactor

Not sure if it's true, but I was told by vintage collectors, the loops under the arms were intended to keep coverall suspenders from falling off the shoulders when worn with the deck jacket.
That makes sense.. but is the loop at right angles to the strap when worn?

warguy

I bought a BR N-1 in blue six months ago and had a very lengthy discussion with Charles at History Preservation regarding a number of features on this jacket.He has done considerable research on this model and has in his archives some great information. Primarily I was interested in why my jacket had come with a leather zipper pull and the photos showed a sewn blue canvas one. I learned that the leather was actually more accurate as the early ones also had a leather pull…..anyway, sorry, went down a rabbit trail. During this same discussion though, I talked to him about the loops referred to in this post. The N-1 jacket as mentioned, was originally manufactured with a matching pant/overall. There was a system where these loops in the jacket were utilized to connect to this pant/overall when worn to help secure it. Kevin

Peter242

I bought a BR N-1 in blue six months ago and had a very lengthy discussion with Charles at History Preservation regarding a number of features on this jacket.He has done considerable research on this model and has in his archives some great information. Primarily I was interested in why my jacket had come with a leather zipper pull and the photos showed a sewn blue canvas one. I learned that the leather was actually more accurate as the early ones also had a leather pull…..anyway, sorry, went down a rabbit trail. During this same discussion though, I talked to him about the loops referred to in this post. The N-1 jacket as mentioned, was originally manufactured with a matching pant/overall. There was a system where these loops in the jacket were utilized to connect to this pant/overall when worn to help secure it. Kevin
Thanks for detail answer - good to know - just bought a RMC Blue N1, but this one has the blue zipper blue. Perhaps one day i will change that. Greetings Peter

warguy

Hi Peter, it is possible the blue cotton pull was used in later production on the blue N-1, it isn’t entirely clear. According to Charles, the black leather one has been seen in two originals and a very early reproduction of this model used it as well when they modeled their jacket off an original in their collection that had one. Pretty much all of the khaki ones have the cotton pull which is accurate. Good luck.