• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like Diamond Dave is Closing up the Jacket Business

ButteMT61

I have an Aero slapped together during the Will Lauder days - the first actual custom order I ever made via Aero USA. The USA bit wasn't the issue - it was the jacket that stands as an insult to the horse and sheep that donated their DNA to the project. I never badmouthed it or Aero anywhere. I have almost never worn it but still have it because It coincided with the first visit I made to the UK in 2011 to see my ailing best friend of 25 years who was passing from Leukemia. The jacket has meaning, yet it hangs in my closet as a reminder that I made a bad and expensive mistake with a place that had a great rep and was at the time, the most fave maker in the Hat Place™

Since I've only bought ONE custom jacket from JC @ Good Wear - my beloved and well-worn Ventura in seal Shinki. All others I own are second hand which are affordable and seem to always work out better.
The arrows tossed here and elsewhere at guys tyring to make a spot into the LJ space have taken a lot of people out of the forums - if not the hobby. My guess is that every time one drops out, the others are relieved. Some won't say it though, and that's the right choice.

I've had a bunch of other Aeros over the years too - all second hand. Even though I'm a big guy, they were all beyond blousy in the torso. That was the main reason for going GW and I'm glad I did. I just figured that Aero assumes Americans are fat and that's how they make jackets.
Now I see they seemed to have trimmed down on some patterns so that's good to know, but I'm done with customs.

The good news is that being 58, I don't have that many years left to wear out what I own now, so I'll just be a perma-lurker to the end, barring some miracle.

I am glad I was around for what I think was the heyday of leather jacket makers. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun in spite of tossing out good money for some real stinkers. Maybe it's time to get back into motorcycling...

Juanito

The good news is that being 58, I don't have that many years left to wear out what I own now, so I'll just be a perma-lurker to the end, barring some miracle.

I am glad I was around for what I think was the heyday of leather jacket makers. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun in spite of tossing out good money for some real stinkers. Maybe it's time to get back into motorcycling...

I am right there with you in age, that I have more jackets (and unworn combat boots) that I can wear out in the rest of my life, and that my jacket acquisition days are pretty much over.

Yes, it is time to get back into motorcycling--get back on the bike! You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stopped riding.

Juanito

interesting, sounds like more and more of us are getting out of buying/collecting jackets? I am definitely there with seeing anything enticing these days!
Repros anyway; I am still interested in any size 46 originals in excellent original (no replacemention zippers, onots, etc.) condition.

ButteMT61

If DD made one of his nylon jackets or Apollo jackets, I might be in. Otherwise, not much I need that I don't have, sans a D1/B6 maybe...and a good moto jacket if I get back to riding.

colekwok

If DD made one of his nylon jackets or Apollo jackets, I might be in. Otherwise, not much I need that I don't have, sans a D1/B6 maybe...and a good moto jacket if I get back to riding.

I have one of his Blue NASA jacket which I still haven't got my hands on to. They are still with my 'old folks' outside of the UK.....
Judging from the photos that my 'old man' sent me, it looks spot on.

I have an Aero slapped together during the Will Lauder days - the first actual custom order I ever made via Aero USA. The USA bit wasn't the issue - it was the jacket that stands as an insult to the horse and sheep that donated their DNA to the project. I never badmouthed it or Aero anywhere. I have almost never worn it but still have it because It coincided with the first visit I made to the UK in 2011 to see my ailing best friend of 25 years who was passing from Leukemia. The jacket has meaning, yet it hangs in my closet as a reminder that I made a bad and expensive mistake with a place that had a great rep and was at the time, the most fave maker in the Hat Place™

I have exactly the same experience with the previous incarnation of Aero. I had one very good 2nd hand jacket from then and I decided to get a 2nd one, huge mistake though. If anyone remembers that from the hat forum, I was planning to get a 506PIR patched A-2 from them. First, they swapped the 101 patch and insisted that it was correct. The waist knit was also badly stitched so that jacket actually twisted to one side, probably done in a hurry? I am pretty sure these can be rectified by replacing these patches with other ones to cover them up, and the wait knit can probably be replaced and fixed? But for how much? This is something that Ken can probably give me an answer?

DiamondDave

DD your Facebook post was spot on.

Maybe the lack of orders was due to not enough publicity and marketing.
Over the last couple I have not seen much online activity, perhaps the odd Facebook post.
I had assumed this was because of having plenty of work.

I'm not even sure of the range A2 contracts available .

Geoff

Geoff,

An altogether fair, and very valid point. Really we are all just marketing companies, that happen to make leather jackets.

I have long struggled as a one man operation, and I am certain that a lack of communication as well as marketing has contributed.

DD

Ken at Aero Leather

Yep once again Ken is right. This the man who to this day can make an A-2 in just under two hours (bullshit).

I am sure that at some point Ken saw one of my jackets, and has picked it apart thoroughly. What I will say to that is this...Let’s see a few of Kens earliest pieces and I bet we will notice something similar.

Let’s be fair, I’m not the best at this, but I have heart and passion for it. I am not drawn only by money or reputation.

Comparing apples to apples helps a lot. And now having made 125 A-2 type jackets, I will stack them up against anyone.

Two hours for a simple style like an A-2 is not particularily fast, there are at least two quicker machinists at Aero than me

If you found one of my early A-2s I can assure you you'd find them worse than yours, (Probably all of the first 125) in my defence there wasn't the info available then and I'd no-one to help me
Also in my defence they went out at £75 each in 1981 (£280 in today's money) not $1000!!
Maybe someone has one bought off me from Exchange & Mart

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

I have one of his Blue NASA jacket which I still haven't got my hands on to. They are still with my 'old folks' outside of the UK.....
Judging from the photos that my 'old man' sent me, it looks spot on.

I have exactly the same experience with the previous incarnation of Aero. I had one very good 2nd hand jacket from then and I decided to get a 2nd one, huge mistake though. If anyone remembers that from the hat forum, I was planning to get a 506PIR patched A-2 from them. First, they swapped the 101 patch and insisted that it was correct. The waist knit was also badly stitched so that jacket actually twisted to one side, probably done in a hurry? I am pretty sure these can be rectified by replacing these patches with other ones to cover them up, and the wait knit can probably be replaced and fixed? But for how much? This is something that Ken can probably give me an answer?

Aero fell apart under Lauder, never mind the fraud, the quality and customer service was poor, most of the staff were busy running scams.
Butte will no doubt confirm how horrified I was to hear the story of his visit to the factory, I can only appologise again but that would be the nth time

Colekwok.............send me a pic of the knit, obviously it can be sorted, Aero's guarantees don't run out

Last edited:

DiamondDave

Two hours for a simple style like an A-2 is not particularily fast, there are at least two quicker machinists at Aero than me

If you found one of my early A-2s I can assure you you'd find them worse than yours, (Probably all of the first 125) in my defence there wasn't the info available then and I'd no-one to help me But in my defence they went out at £75 each in 1981 (£280 in today's money) not $1000!!
Maybe someone has one bought off me from Exchange & Mart

Ken,

My early jackets, like yours sold for much less than the 1k mark, you know, that point that you continue to belabor? I haven’t ever sold a test or a jacket under #75 for that price. So first get your data straight; but please keep attacking me, we are only just getting going on what I think of your company and it’s business practices. Keep it up.

You’ve been warned.

Ciao for now,

DD

zoomer

I have long struggled as a one man operation, and I am certain that a lack of communication as well as marketing has contributed.
Across several niche craft interests (music merchandise, clothing, etc), in my experience, you'll find there is a high wall between craft skills and sales/customer relations skills.

- Salespeople believe anything salable can be sold in a few, tried and true ways. If it can't, it's because it's not salable, and probably needs to be made more cheaply or less uniquely.
- Craftspeople couldn't care less what makes things sell and what doesn't. The only aspect of sales they want anything to do with is recouping costs.
- Respect is grudging. (Especially for salespeople by craftspeople.) They see no need to understand what the other does, so they miscommunicate constantly, and often don't even notice.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

You’d have thought any mod’ with half a brain would have locked this thread pages ago .... alas there are none. Perhaps too busy flouncing in big collared jackets or bored of the forum in general.....

DD, i’m with you but please let it go: you are better than this and are in danger of overreacting to the point of folks putting you in the same box as Ken and i am certain you neither want nor deserve that “accolade”.

Be well buddy and make me a crusher !

Dave

ButteMT61

@Ken at Aero Leather - I fully accepted and told you that I did NOT need any apologies! I in fact even turned down a discounted jacket from you IIRC. I don't hold YOU accountable for the misdeeds under that other guy. I felt bad enough for what happened to your business and left it at that.
I only mention it as I fell into an expensive purchase at a time when Aero was considered top-dog in the jacket community. It didn't kill me or my hobby, just put the brakes on more custom buys, sans one.
I'm good, I hold no grudge. Just didn't feel your post here was up to snuff is all...

Blackcat1369

Hey folks,
I think this is only my second post in about 5 years of lurking and enjoying these great jackets vicariously thru you guys. I’ve never even seen most of these replica jackets in person, much less the originals, so as far as “authenticity” goes, I think they all look great. Because therein lies the soul of leather jacket appreciation. We see a jacket we love the LOOK of, and take it from there. I’ll never even get to the place you guys are in. I will never be able to afford to buy a new edition j-24. Ever. So if you love the jackets you have, why worry if the backing material of the zipper is the same as the original. It’s the overall appearance you’re buying. The rest is gravy.
I think the point of this thread was about Dave, who I only know as a character on this board and from his website... But this is absolutely tragic! And I speak as a person who has been thru it. When you devote a significant amount of your adult life to doing something you love and have passion for, and then have that take away, it is more than a tragedy. It’s soul crushing. Especially if your hard earned skills are not transferable to another trade. I made headstones. 24 years of that qualifies you for nothing.its been 6 years and I think about it every day. I try to go thru things in my head so that I don’t lose information I may never use again. I won’t get the chance to pass down what I know to someone else like the man I apprenticed to did me... it’s much more than business when you are a craftsman. Dave, my heart goes out to you. If you can’t do it as a business, keep doing it out of love for the craft. Your work is beautiful and people wear it with pride!
Sorry to be so long winded, it’s back to lurking with my crummy mass produced jackets for me!
Bc1369

DiamondDave

Anyone remember when Ken let JC use the Aero name? Anyone?

Aus,

Ken didn’t LET shit. Ken doesn’t own the brand in the US, and he cannot force anything. Ken was compensated for his “allowance” with numerous pattern upgrades, as well as zips, and new properly designed labels for his own jackets. John was gracious enough to do this since, we have known for years that the Aero Leather Clo Co belongs to one Gary Eastman (ELC) and not ever to Ken Calder or Aero Scotland. Period.

Shall I continue? I can shovel enough dirt as to swamp a few folks.

DD

B-Man2

I have one of JCs jackets with the previously mention Aero Label. I don’t think that whole thing lasted very long, so I guess there aren’t many GW jackets out there with that label . Anyone else here have one?
(Just trying to take things down a notch);)

Last edited: