• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

coolhandluke

Im sure Morten is on here and reading these posts. He is always open to suggestions...
Both BK and Aero offer 'civvi' ANJ-3s with epaulettes and internal windflaps. In AVI's case, it makes sense to keep production simple if you already have the M-422a
I'll have mine soon to review.

Looking forward to your review Brett.

I'm happy to see another offering on the market for the AN-J-3. It's a little more utilitarian looking than the A2 and M-422, but can be attractive in its own right if done well. I'm currently in Dave Sheeley's queue for a USN style Monarch AN-J-3 as we speak.

I honestly wish that Avi would offer a heavier, premium hide as an alternative option as well as 100% wool knits. It would take this particular jacket, their M-422a, and A2's up a few notches. Based on the prices of the other AN-J-3 offerings out there, a €399.00 or €499.00 option with these upgrades would still be a reasonable bargain.

My only other complaint would be the spec label. Too cheap and generic looking IMO. I think that I would have preferred a period looking civi style label or an experimental test sample label like Headwind uses.

MauldinFan

So, I've seen some photos of Avi A2s here on this forum and liked what I saw. Can anyone speak to their sizes? Are they cut small or large for the marked sizes?
How do you all think they compare with, say, the 5star ones?

Brettafett

Cant say comparing with 5*

What I can say for certain, is that all AVI's jackets (sans the new ANJ-3) are copied directly off originals in their possession. So the patterns and fit 'should' be true to WW2 sizing.
So, I'd recommend going up at least one size. Im a 40" chest and the 42 Bronco fits well, same for all the AVI jackets I have (I wear a 42 in most originals and top end repros).
Larger fella may need to go up 2 sizes.
AVI are happy to do returns and exchanges, and some customising (I normally add an inch to sleeves)...

g1jacketfan

For folks in the USA, who is the best distributor to buy an AVI from?

Also, I read here that the current run of AVI jackets are now produced in Pakistan by a new vendor and the construction quality may not have been as good as the earlier vendor. Was the earlier AVI manufacturer based in Asia? Has the Pakistan entity improved quality control?

Between the AVI M-422A and G-1, which is a more accurate reproduction? Is the AVI M422-A goatskin the same seal shade as their G-1? Weren't the vintage M-422A jackets a lighter brown?

Brettafett

Buy direct from the website, but I'd email Morten (the AVI guy) first to check.

They were always made I Pakistan, and yes as far as I understand they have did change supplier a few years back.
The current quality is no less than before, in some ways better, esp with the M-422A - And generally very good.

All of thier jackets are patterned off actual originals in AVI's possession. Patterns are pretty good, relatively speaking.
Please dont expect Goodwear detailing, although we often do compare them to top end jackets, which says enough.

Ive had all of AVI's A-2 incarnations, G-1 and M-422A, so feel free to pm me.

I can highly recommend the M-422A in all respects. Its a darn good M-422a repro for the price.
The G-1 is great, but its a 55J14 (early G-1 pattern from late 40s/ early 50s) and those tended to have wider shoulders, trim waist/ torso. Fits well enough, but the M-422A is a better, easier all-round pattern for most.
Sizes true to WW2 sizing. General rule, go one up from your chest size (depending on body type).

Regarding goatskin, you have options. The std M-442a comes in seal goatskin, which in this case is almost identical in colour to an original Star G-1 I have (pics posted somewhere here).
The G-1 comes std in a very slightly darker seal brown (try find my AVI ANJ-3 review, that compares the darker and std seal brown).
I have recently recently ANOTHER M-422a (added a touch of sleeve length) and had this made in the darker seal brown and its stunning. No pics uploaded yet.
The mouton AVI uses is gorgeous, better than Eastman.

There are no hard and fast rules regs shades of brown, so much depend on so much... Not all were lighter, not all were darker, originals fade, period photos are not very accurate for colour... etc

Earloffunk

Has anyone ever had their hands on their shot of the j-100? Would love to hear your experiences as the j-100 is on the top of my shopping list.

JonnyCrow

Yup €350 is pretty jolly steep for what it is and the alternatives.

I also imagine that 5 Star have stolen a bit of their thunder.
Perfectly agree, there's a heap of repros out there much cheaper, now everywhere seems to be making some form of G1,A2 jacket, Italians making some nice stuff, for me I've seen nice wearable vintage ones for that price range here