• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Smithy

Yeah, goatskin doesn’t need to be babied at all. There’s an argument to be made that it’s tougher than horsehide, and it certainly ages more gracefully.

I've posted pics of that civvy A-2 from the 40s that Mike (Bluebottle here and Mike1973 over at Salon du Chapeau) has and it is probably the best looking aged leather I have seen. So beautiful as well as hardwearing.

Brettafett

I emailed AVI for samples and they responded that they don’t send them.
I had asked for a swatch of russet when I ordered my last Bronco a while back, that was maybe 2 years ago. I assume its still the same stuff as then... I know I liked the russet goat more than the HH.
The ANJs should be ready soon and I'd put in a order last week, (ordered a M-422a on the website, following an email that it'd be for an ANJ-3)... and again asked for a swatch of russet goat and HH. Ive not had a yay or nay, but did receive confirmation of the order.... so lets see.

Last edited:

ties70

I don't know what kind of leather it was, but the hide which AVI had used for the Perry trial jackets (Couchy's got one!) was the nicest on any budget A-2 I had seen so far:

IMG_20211125_1437410_2.jpg

IMG_20211125_1438002.jpg

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Yeah, goatskin doesn’t need to be babied at all. There’s an argument to be made that it’s tougher than horsehide, and it certainly ages more gracefully.
I find I need to be incredibly aware of things like door handles and wooden picnic tables in thin goatskin.... because it tends to catch a lot due to how it drapes
I'm interested in thicker hides but unfortunately the repro makers to to use thin hides (one of the reasons I sourced the hides myself for the tailor made jacket....)

coolhandluke

Looks like a neat offering. I'd just like to point out, as someone with a special interest in the AN-J-3s, that the write-up he provides is wrong. The AN-J-3A is not the Navy version of the AN-J-3. See "A Better Fighting Garment" for an accurate account of the progression of jacket types.

Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now. ;)

Epaulets with an internal windflap is also incorrect, right Jan?

coolhandluke

As far as I know - I don't think all the companies that produced AN-J-3s have been identified. But yeah, W&G had epaulets, but not an internal windflap, while Monarch's version was the opposite. Good observation.

I see that they noted in the decription that no specific contract was followed, so that does excuse the oversight. Avi designed the jacket as if they were submitting their own interpretation of the specifications.

mulceber

I see that they noted in the decription that no specific contract was followed, so that does excuse the oversight. Avi designed the jacket as if they were submitting their own interpretation of the specifications.
Which is kind of a neat, creative idea. They could lean into that in the write-up, and it'd be a fun selling point.

Chandler

Which is kind of a neat, creative idea. They could lean into that in the write-up, and it'd be a fun selling point.
There's a big, stand-out, bold paragraph on the page that goes into it.

I was going to copy and paste it when I got to my desktop (also want to see the bigger pics to see the leather).

mulceber

Hah, good point. The bold isn't very noticeable on my computer, so I guess it slipped past me. I should have said "It is a fun selling point."

Chandler

Hah, good point. The bold isn't very noticeable on my computer, so I guess it slipped past me. I should have said "It is a fun selling point."
And it looks completely different on my phone from my desktop -- on my phone it shows as a large "call-out" type of advertising paragraph.

Our version, like the original designation, is based off our original Gordon & Ferguson M-422A jacket. It does not represent any specific original contract. Our ANJ-3 jacket is what we would have supplied the Quartermaster if we were producing jackets back in 1943. Beside having that classic flight jacket profile, you will find our ‘do-it-all’ ANJ-3 extremely comfortable and hard-wearing, year round. Whether walking down the high street, driving in your car or sitting in a cockpit, this is jacket you will love to wear. The ANJ-3 jacket is likely to become another firm favourite.

Brettafett

Im sure Morten is on here and reading these posts. He is always open to suggestions...
Both BK and Aero offer 'civvi' ANJ-3s with epaulettes and internal windflaps. In AVI's case, it makes sense to keep production simple if you already have the M-422a
I'll have mine soon to review.