• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Enigma1938

I got my tag from Gibson and Barnes today! Shipping cost more than it did! It strikes me as having been done somewhat half-assed but that doesn't bother me because, frankly, I'm sure more than a few of these were done half-assed during the war! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

One thing I am disappointed about is that the velcro backing is glued and not sewn. I was really counting on having the holes to help with the stitching because I'm awful at neat, consistent sewing. Ah well.

48T1juZ.jpg
Nice, G&B does the best USN / Navy Tags and they are extreme sturdy.
But why have you chosen a velcro backing? This is the ww2 layout and color so the only accurate way is to sew it on.

Enigma1938

Noticed today that the top left corner (from my perspective when wearing it) of the right pocket flat popped a stitch. This is kind of thing happens, right? Not something I need to stress about?
Definitely NO! The pocket will not fall off someday. That can happen on Goodwear or ELC jackets also just like it happened on originals back then.

McNally

Nice, G&B does the best USN / Navy Tags and they are extreme sturdy.
But why have you chosen a velcro backing? This is the ww2 layout and color so the only accurate way is to sew it on.
Oh, I know. I took the velcro off. Velcro is on by default and somehow I thought it was sewn on. Every other leather nametag I've ever seen was sewn to the velcro backing. I wanted to use the holes from the stitching to guide me because my own hand stitching is extremely uneven.

Brettafett

Just dropped, new CLASSIC styles...

And some sale jackets for those on the fence ;)

RumRunner

And some sale jackets for those on the fence ;)

That size 54 G1 seems to be whispering my name (sigh)...

I may or may not have already saved a bookmark directly to the detail page. o_O

WingAndaPrayer

As i´m also looking for a B-10 - do you think the ATF will be better than the bronson ? Actuall i´m waiting for a restock of bronson, because the price fits more budget than a BR or a Eastman. Both of them look in my eyes way better than the bronson but are way of my budget. And i never read read a review for the ATF B-10......
The FiveStar B10 is very nice. I own 2.

Brettafett

After a recent enquiry as to the status of the Star G-1, I was told this is on hold for the time being. Some issue with trying to find appropriate repro zippers.
I can imagine finding a decent repro Conmar can't be easy.
But... Was also told AVI has an ANJ-3 in development. Based on their M-422A, but with leather collar and epaulets I guess. Id assume custom options available for leather and lining etc
Ive always been keen for one of these, seeing some of the member's originals.... Like the ideal leather flight jacket. I had one of Cockpit's leather collared-G-1s a few years back, but was not 'sold' on that.
Based on my AVI M-422A however, Im in.
If anyone hears more, please let us know...

CombatWombat

After a recent enquiry as to the status of the Star G-1, I was told this is on hold for the time being. Some issue with trying to find appropriate repro zippers.
I can imagine finding a decent repro Conmar can't be easy.
But... Was also told AVI has an ANJ-3 in development. Based on their M-422A, but with leather collar and epaulets I guess. Id assume custom options available for leather and lining etc
Ive always been keen for one of these, seeing some of the member's originals.... Like the ideal leather flight jacket. I had one of Cockpit's leather collared-G-1s a few years back, but was not 'sold' on that.
Based on my AVI M-422A however, Im in.
If anyone hears more, please let us know...
I agree with you about their M-422A.....I ordered one from them about 2 months ago and I literally am like a kid on the night before Christmas!.....keep checking the shipping status every day (still sitting in customs since last Thursday)

B-Man2

To all the AVI owners: how good is the russet goat skin? I’m thinking about getting a Perry from them.
I had one of the first generation AVI goats in russet. It was their Bronco. The goatskin on those was thicker than most repros and the russet was a bit on the orange side. Once I toned down the orange color a bit, the jacket was ok as a daily wearer. With a bit of aging it should work well for you as long as your not looking for historical accuracy. I don’t know if this issues have been corrected in the later models, so maybe some recent purchasers can weight in here.

Brettafett

Hold steady, Ive requested russet samples. I had received some with my Bronco, but had a spring clean since and its all gone.
It is very different from what was used back in 2019/2020, they must have a different supplier.

CombatWombat

I had one of the first generation AVI goats in russet. It was their Bronco. The goatskin on those was thicker than most repros and the russet was a bit on the orange side. Once I toned down the orange color a bit, the jacket was ok as a daily wearer. With a bit of aging it should work well for you as long as your not looking for historical accuracy. I don’t know if this issues have been corrected in the later models, so maybe some recent purchasers can weight in here.
I wish I could find a thick goatskin A2 or a G1 jacket.....not a fan of thin hides at all since it needs to be "babied"

WingAndaPrayer

Hold steady, Ive requested russet samples. I had received some with my Bronco, but had a spring clean since and its all gone.
It is very different from what was used back in 2019/2020, they must have a different supplier.
I emailed AVI for samples and they responded that they don’t send them.

mulceber

Maybe it could be a location thing? They know Brett from previous orders and communication, and they know he’s in Europe, so shipping would be cheap.

Chandler

I wish I could find a thick goatskin A2 or a G1 jacket.....not a fan of thin hides at all since it needs to be "babied"
I have 3 goatskin jackets I wear in rotation with my others and never felt the need to baby them.

1 is a vintage G-1; 1 is a very soft and playable chrome-tanned, newer G-1-like; and the third is a veg-tanned, semi-aniline finish A-2 that feels thin (but would probably mic-out the same as any of my jackets).

I say take the chance and get a nice goatskin -- they're great.