• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Lord Flashheart

If it's any consolation I've had a jacket turn up before a peep on tracking, another turn up at light speed and another wade around in custard at UK customs waiting for a charge to be issued by post. If it helps I've found this parcel tracker to be the helpful:

McNally

If it's any consolation I've had a jacket turn up before a peep on tracking, another turn up at light speed and another wade around in custard at UK customs waiting for a charge to be issued by post. If it helps I've found this parcel tracker to be the helpful:

I'll tuck that tracker into my bag of tricks!

As of today it's been 7 days since tracking has been updated and while I know the distance between Edinburgh and Copenhagen is roughly a thousand road miles, I still have an American's preconceptions and feel like I could have walked there by now.

McNally

And just like that I had a present arrive out of nowhere.

jTmdMR1.jpg

I ordered the new size 50 because I wanted a looser fit. Gonna have to keep going to the gym because my belly wants to push at the leather a little.

N1mpcpt.jpg

I've worn it for a grand total of about 3 minutes and it's already my favorite leather jacket. I'm gonna have to set my phone up on my desk and use the timer for some better photos though.

Can't fasten the collar closed around my neck but that's definitely a "my neck is too big" issue rather than anything to hold against the jacket. Maybe I'll get some scrap leather and make an extender I can toss into one of the pockets.

Now to wrestle with whether or not I want to get a leather nametag made up for it. On the one hand, I think it'd look amazing.

On the other hand, I was army and not navy and definitely never earned wings. Decisions, decisions...

Enigma1938

And just like that I had a present arrive out of nowhere.

jTmdMR1.jpg

I ordered the new size 50 because I wanted a looser fit. Gonna have to keep going to the gym because my belly wants to push at the leather a little.

N1mpcpt.jpg

I've worn it for a grand total of about 3 minutes and it's already my favorite leather jacket. I'm gonna have to set my phone up on my desk and use the timer for some better photos though.

Now to wrestle with whether or not I want to get a leather nametag made up for it. On the one hand, I think it'd look amazing.

On the other hand, I was army and not navy and definitely never earned wings. Decisions, decisions...

Personally I think that the whole wings thing is overrated. Every fashion company is sewing some kind of wings on their jackets, shirts.. etc..
No one bothers about a Usaaf meatball on the jacket even a big bunch of owners of such jackets were not even in the US army...
One could argue that you cannot even wear or own a M422 or a A2 because you have not earned it...
To each his own

McNally

Personally I think that the whole wings thing is overrated. Every fashion company is sewing some kind of wings on their jackets, shirts.. etc..
No one bothers about a Usaaf meatball on the jacket even a big bunch of owners of such jackets were not even in the US army...
One could argue that you cannot even wear or own a M422 or a A2 because you have not earned it...
To each his own
I hear ya, it's probably lingering armyitis in my system. "Don't wear it if you didn't earn it" and all that.

Brettafett

Looks great and the fit is just right. Super comfy right?
And you've paid the money, you've earned it :cool:
Each to their own regs name tags, patches and things. You have to wear it and if it works for you, all good!

This is one of the things I've harped on about AVI's and 5* jackets... You can do this... experiment... patch, paint, whatever and not panic too much.
These are the perfect jackets for this. They are well-made, good quality, relatively decent authenticity, for a few hundred bucks!

B-Man2

McNally
The jacket looks great on you . The fit is good for you and if you decide to drop a few pounds the fit will still look good on you. I would wear it for a while, as it is, before you put anything on it. Patching a jacket is usually a one way street as holes are there forever. So make sure you’re committed to the patching idea. In the past I’ve used double sided tape to temporarily put a patch on a jacket for a few weeks just to see if I liked it, so that may be an option for you .

McNally

And you've paid the money, you've earned it :cool:
Each to their own regs name tags, patches and things. You have to wear it and if it works for you, all good!
I guess now the question becomes what rank my fictional WWII self had in the navy lol

A friend of mine who was a year ahead of me in undergrad put on O-5 in the air force a couple years ago but that might be pushing it

Who does the best WWII style navy tags?

Enigma1938

I guess now the question becomes what rank my fictional WWII self had in the navy lol

A friend of mine who was a year ahead of me in undergrad put on O-5 in the air force a couple years ago but that might be pushing it

Who does the best WWII style navy tags?
Definitely Gibson & Barnes. I tried a few makers before (Eastman, Mash, a few ebay sellers...etc) but they all had some faults like wrong leather color, too thick, fragile gold letters, wrong layout. The G&B is perfect.

McNally

Definitely Gibson & Barnes. I tried a few makers before (Eastman, Mash, a few ebay sellers...etc) but they all had some faults like wrong leather color, too thick, fragile gold letters, wrong layout. The G&B is perfect.
lol of course it had to be the company that requires you to call in international orders. Why is it never simple?

McNally

Noticed today that the top left corner (from my perspective when wearing it) of the right pocket flat popped a stitch. This is kind of thing happens, right? Not something I need to stress about?

McNally

I got my tag from Gibson and Barnes today! Shipping cost more than it did! It strikes me as having been done somewhat half-assed but that doesn't bother me because, frankly, I'm sure more than a few of these were done half-assed during the war! Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

One thing I am disappointed about is that the velcro backing is glued and not sewn. I was really counting on having the holes to help with the stitching because I'm awful at neat, consistent sewing. Ah well.

48T1juZ.jpg