• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Skyhawk

There was some conjecture in the past and I can't remember if it was confirmed or not. Somebody may remember and maybe they can chime in. Basically AVI Leather was contracting out their jackets and the company they were using to make the jackets wound up just taking the patterns and selling the jackets on their own for a cheaper price. That forced AVI to find another jacket maker. I felt really bad for AVI when this happened. Glad they are coming back.

Last edited:

Toby003

Size 40

pit 2 pit. 21”
Sleeve. 25.5”
Shoulder. 19” straight across
Hem. 18” top of wool hem
Length. 24” (61cm)

as above all measurements are spot on except rear length which I get as 1cm less..?

will do some photos tomorrow.

highlyrecommend this jacket, leather, parts, mouton, colour & fit. (Price)
I’m 5’8” 10.3 stone slim. Can only get t shirt underneath so it’s fitted almost tailored, extremely comfortable. I have the ELC to wear a sweatshirt underneath.

Thanks for the mini review! I'm considering buying one of these jackets but I'm wondering about the orange fading around the zip box in your photographs- it seems quite quick to have developed that kind of patina? Do you think that means that the leather is the, 'fast aging' version that F* seems to use sometimes?

s4rmark

Yes, I totally agree with Cabbie. Excellent jacket for the money. They are very trim around the torso though so get the sizing right. If you've got a bit of a belly you may struggle. I take a size 40 in an Eastman but I went for a 42 in the AVI.

Brettafett

Depending where in the world you are, AVI is easy. Free postage, easy returns, etc...

The 55J14 has a rather unique pattern, wider shoulders and trim waist, suits some, not others.
I ordered a 40 and a 42, because I wanted to compare fit... from the measurements they both look like they would work... Ended up with the 40.

If you find the pattern doesn't work, for whatever reason, wait for the G&F M-422a. I dont have any more info, besides what I've posted previously.
We've seen a pic of their original and the last I heard, they were waiting for the test jacket.
Theres also a Star Sportswear G-1 later this year.

London Cabbie

Yes, I totally agree with Cabbie. Excellent jacket for the money. They are very trim around the torso though so get the sizing right. If you've got a bit of a belly you may struggle. I take a size 40 in an Eastman but I went for a 42 in the AVI.
Mark have you fit pics. ?

Toby003

Thanks for the info and recommendations! It does look like a fantastic jacket. My only concern is the speed of weathering- I wouldn't want it to go orange, e.g. under the armpits, or on the shoulders if I were carrying a rucksack, after a few months of wear.

Reactions: daw

PilatusPilot

Gents, am I the only one who thinks that the Avi jackets look a tad too much like the five star jackets? Or vice versa. No only the look, but the leather... The materials, the fit etc... I always thought Avi sourced their jackets from Shawn...there was even a member on some forum (don't remember which) who compared the two... And hum yeah it looked like the exact same jacket. Anyone knows whatsup with that?

s4rmark

Here you go cabbie, sorry they’re a bit late. I can’t get on the site on my home WiFi for some reason. It’s been playing up for about 3 weeks now.
3EB2B3AB-0289-47B9-B55B-6B55220DB922.jpeg
F84CB858-5798-4ADD-8700-A2643521D7D7.jpeg
C780D2BB-0B21-4021-8190-9112070FE688.jpeg

Brettafett

Apparently there will be options to state preferences and customisations on the order form.
Assuming I'll be able to add a bit of length to sleeves then...
Keen to see the B-3... Never really been in too sheepskins, but will be good to see what they did.

Last edited:

mulceber

Received an email. Website will update with new jackets soon.
Bronco and Perry A-2s, seal and russet, goat and horsehide
B-3

Gordon & Ferguson M-422a is not far behind...

Do you know which Perry contract they're looking at reproducing? There should be some interesting offerings soon.

Greg Gale

Looks like the HH jackets are out. Not sure if it's just the picture, maybe it's a large size, but the knits seem a tad short both on the torso and the sleeves? I like their seal color, but their russet is a bit too light for my taste. They lowered the price though, so it looks like a very good offer.