• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Greg Gale

I just got that email...I wonder if the pattern is improved too. Weren't they supposed to come out with a Star Sportswear?

917_k

Looks like a nice enough jacket, but (and I appreciate there will be different views on this) I still could never justify €300 + on a repro G-1 when the real thing can be acquired for far far less (that applies to Avi, Eastman, 5* etc). Obviously you’ll struggle to find a mint 55J14 for that sort of money, but later 7823 jackets are so common and often sell for peanuts (and that doesn’t have to be some horrible worn out rag either).

B-Man2

Looks like a nice enough jacket, but (and I appreciate there will be different views on this) I still could never justify €300 + on a repro G-1 when the real thing can be acquired for far far less (that applies to Avi, Eastman, 5* etc). Obviously you’ll struggle to find a mint 55J14 for that sort of money, but later 7823 jackets are so common and often sell for peanuts (and that doesn’t have to be some horrible worn out rag either).
Thank you ! I’ve been saying this forever . I’m glad to see that someone else has the same opinion. Why pay large sums for a repro when for about the same price or less, you can own an original. And the value of the original goes up , while the repro starts to go down the day you buy it .

Smithy

Totally agree. I can understand it with A-2s and all the rest of the WWII era jackets as repros make sense, but when with this era the originals are still plentiful and able to be had at cheaper prices, it just doesn't make any sense.

They would have been far better off working their Bronco contract or getting a new original pattern A-2 out, even a B-3 or similar.

Greg Gale

I do see the point, it's new, clean, your exact size, a contract that is hard to find, and it won't break your heart to patch it.

BUT

Not at this price. I mean they can't conceivably be more expensive than an original... for 200-250 EUR tops I'd consider getting one.

Smithy

I do see the point, it's new, clean, your exact size, a contract that is hard to find, and it won't break your heart to patch it.

BUT

Not at this price. I mean they can't conceivably be more expensive than an original... for 200-250 EUR tops I'd consider getting one.

Yup €350 is pretty jolly steep for what it is and the alternatives.

I also imagine that 5 Star have stolen a bit of their thunder.

ties70

BUT

Greg,

it's a question of perspectives:
Being a size 48 or even 50 in original USN jackets (depending on the pattern) I would have to wait very long to find an original in my size, and be even more lucky to score it at an attractive price.

In my sizing going repro is often the only possibility. At 350 € AVI has a price advantage to the higher grade makers.

I like their mouton color...not a big fan of the orangey / salmon fur you get elsewhere, and I like their rib-rack knits.

FS has them too, but every G-1 or M-422a coming from them recently has the standard A-2 waistband... customers seem to prefer them...

Ties

Flightengineer

It seems to me that success would have been greater if Morten had followed the path of the most accurate copying, but this is quite expensive. For example, on they G-1 AVI uses not the best repro Talon, although originally Conmar was used.
100% copy could attract those who buy not only cause they cannot find the original in large size but others too.
And yes, I agree with the opinion that the repro G-1 is not very interesting cause of the availability of the originals and their better save, in contrast to the A2.

Brettafett

Not sure if anyone else here has enquired, so I thought Id post an update.
I heard back from the guys at AVI regs the Perry and Star G-1, and I got more.

Seems they have have an 'updated' test jacket of a Bronco and a Perry, and will be offering in Horsehide and goat. Seal and russet I think (but I'm not sure if thats seal and russet hh AND seal and russet goat..?)
The Star Sportswear G-1 is still being developed, but preceding that will be a G&F M-422a! All jackets copied off originals, seems they took the Bronco apart.
Didn't get specifics on details, but assume same hardware as before.
Jackets will be offered in all sizes with longs and other tweaks on request, seems they will be bespoke...?
I don't know prices, but assume much the same as they were.

How 'good' these jackets will be in details and how they'll compare to other jackets at this price level is yet to be seen.
Ive asked for more info on which Perry contract and more about the M-422a, and also when we can expect these?

God knows I don't need more jackets, but my curiosity might get the better of me, esp for the M-442a and Star G-1.

Still waiting patiently for ATF to launch their B-10.

Peter242

Not sure if anyone else here has enquired, so I thought Id post an update.
I heard back from the guys at AVI regs the Perry and Star G-1, and I got more.

Seems they have have an 'updated' test jacket of a Bronco and a Perry, and will be offering in Horsehide and goat. Seal and russet I think (but I'm not sure if thats seal and russet hh AND seal and russet goat..?)
The Star Sportswear G-1 is still being developed, but preceding that will be a G&F M-422a! All jackets copied off originals, seems they took the Bronco apart.
Didn't get specifics on details, but assume same hardware as before.
Jackets will be offered in all sizes with longs and other tweaks on request, seems they will be bespoke...?
I don't know prices, but assume much the same as they were.

How 'good' these jackets will be in details and how they'll compare to other jackets at this price level is yet to be seen.
Ive asked for more info on which Perry contract and more about the M-422a, and also when we can expect these?

God knows I don't need more jackets, but my curiosity might get the better of me, esp for the M-442a and Star G-1.

Still waiting patiently for ATF to launch their B-10.
As i´m also looking for a B-10 - do you think the ATF will be better than the bronson ? Actuall i´m waiting for a restock of bronson, because the price fits more budget than a BR or a Eastman. Both of them look in my eyes way better than the bronson but are way of my budget. And i never read read a review for the ATF B-10......

Thomas Koehle

As i´m also looking for a B-10 - do you think the ATF will be better than the bronson ? Actuall i´m waiting for a restock of bronson, because the price fits more budget than a BR or a Eastman. Both of them look in my eyes way better than the bronson but are way of my budget. And i never read read a review for the ATF B-10......

If the quality of the ATF B10 is similar in comparison to the N1 deck jackets I had from both manufacturers the Chinese repop will win