• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

mulceber

Brettafett

I literally just received notification of shipment. Doubt it will arrive this side of Xmas.
Interested to hear your impression.

Last edited:

pierregloom

@pierregloom @Brettafett
Any updates? Have you received your jackets? Ordered an M422a also for a good friend for Christmas and received it today. I'm curious what your opinions are before I bring up mine...
My jacket is in the Netherlands today... it was shipped last week, I don't know if I will receive it before Xmas too.

It takes approximately 15h to travel from Denmark to my little city in France by car, but it looks like my M422-A is having a good time traveling through western Europe.

I hope the size is right, because if it needs to be replaced, I think I'm going to wait for it for a long time :eek:.

Enigma1938

Well gentlemen,
My thoughts about the AVI M422a I received:
I'm disappointed!
First I have to clarify that I ordered a G1 from AVI two years ago (first gen.) and I absolutely love that jacket. Sure it has one or two inaccuracies but it looks super nice, fits super nice and is tough like hell.
So I just want to tell you guys that I don't have a aversion against AVI and because of my good experiences with their G1 I thought I cannot go wrong with the M422a.
My disappointment results in following things;
- the cut is OK but maybe a little short for a M422a.
- the shoulder seam (from shoulder to neck) is sewn the wrong way round.
- there should be two seams on the top of each pockets (not the flaps) but there's only one.
- everywhere when you look closer at seams or the points where leather pieces are joined you can see that everything was frequently glued up before it was sewn together.
- the left pocket is exactly the same width like the right one, even they tell the opposite in their description like it should be.
- the throat tab is too long.
- but the most disappointment results in the leather they use. It is THIN and so supple that it can't even hold shape. The Bi-swings folds open constantly (jacket isn't too trim) because of the flimsy leather in addition with a construction fault (?) what makes the jacket almost unwearable.
First thing I noticed as I received the package was "whoa that thing is light".
The color is OK even it's very dull and a nuance too dark.
- the seams are done sloppily here and there.

The whole jacket appears cheap and in comparison to the G1 there are worlds between these two jackets.
Changing the manufacturer was not AVI's best choice in my opinion.
Sorry for not having better news, maybe it's just my pretty own experience and someone else may see it different but that was not what I wanted.

Cheers
Enigma

Last edited:

Greg Gale

@Enigma1938 thanks for the review, interesting to hear - and disappointing. TBH I had a problem with the bi-swing flap sticking out on their first edition G-1 too. They were like bat wings...

Enigma1938

A few pictures of the M422a and it's faults:
The wrong Bi Swing back
PicsArt_12-23-12.50.45.jpg
PicsArt_12-23-12.51.48.jpg
20211223_005447.jpg

Enigma1938

That really sucks!
Wearing this jacket is the same feeling like when I wear my L2a, it's really that light.
I ordered a custom length in the sleeves so AVI will not take the jacket back, but regarding all that faults I will talk to Morten nevertheless to do so. At least the fucked up Bi swing makes that piece unwearable.

B-Man2

Wow!!…. Thanks for posting and thanks for the review . This is one of the things that make this forum a reliable place for finding out about jackets and makers BEFORE … you put your cash down . Like many here I was anxiously awaiting the first reviews of the AVI M-422a . Thanks to Enigmas review, I’ll keep my cash and by pass up the AVI 422a .

Brettafett

Thanks for the review and the heads up.
Sad to hear this... That bi-swing does not look right, no. Looks like the back panel needs to be wider.
Knits look good though.
Regs the leather thickness, I will say my original FO was also thin. As was my ELC M-442A, but of course I cant compare with this.
Im sure Morten will sort it out for you, what ever way.