• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

ZuZu

Great info! So AVI and the top tier reproduction houses are all using authorized new Talon zippers, but the more accurately shaped ones are licensed Japanese repros.

In terms of quality, have you noticed any difference between the Japanese Talons and Chinese (?) Talons?

Does AVI offer the ability to "upgrade" to the Japanese licensed Talon instead of the standard Chinese-produced Talon? I would imagine some AVI customers would be willing to pay an extra $30 for a more historically accurate zipper.
Sorry- I know nothing about AVI! The old WW2 Talons actually aren't that smooth but rather have a bit of drag with a distinct "zzzzzzzzz!" sound. The quality repros are smoother- I'd trust either (quality repro or new original) over the modern Talon.

coolhandluke

Not sure where Mark Fisher sources his repro Talons from, but they are far and away the nicest operating repro Talon that I have felt...if not one of the best/ smoothest zippers period.

The Talon repro being used by Avi is not as subpar as some others out there, but it's also far from great. It's biggest negative is that the pull tends to get cockeyed in the slider quite often. Just replacing the slider/ pull assembly with an original Talon is a noticeable upgrade.

Below are photos of the Norshor Talon for reference...

20221207_204616.jpg

20221207_204703.jpg

20221207_204722.jpg

g1jacketfan

Not sure where Mark Fisher sources his repro Talons from, but they are far and away the nicest operating repro Talon that I have felt...if not one of the best/ smoothest zippers period.

The Talon repro being used by Avi is not as subpar as some others out there, but it's also far from great. It's biggest negative is that the pull tends to get cockeyed in the slider quite often. Just replacing the slider/ pull assembly with an original Talon is a noticeable upgrade.

Below are photos of the Norshor Talon for reference...

View attachment 88341

View attachment 88343

View attachment 88345

How easy is it to replace the slider pull assembly with an original? What is the process?

g1jacketfan

Do the AVI G1's use two pieces of elastic for the back like the originals? I read that someone said the AVI M422s only use one piece of elastic.

mulceber

How does the Talon 39 differ from the Talon 42?
  • Years manufactured - M-39 first shows up on A-2 jackets in 1940 (maybe it was in production in 1939, which would make sense from its number?) whereas the M-42 first shows up on jackets in (you guessed it) 1942.
  • color - the M-39 was a bright nickel color, whereas the M-42 is a bit more dull. This is informed speculation, but the military seems to have been concerned about zippers reflecting light, which might hinder a downed airman's ability to escape detection.
  • M-39 is triple-marked (i.e. the word "Talon" appears twice on the zipper pull and once on the slider), where the M-42 is only double-marked.