• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks Like AVI is Back in the Game!

Smithy

Perfectly agree, there's a heap of repros out there much cheaper, now everywhere seems to be making some form of G1,A2 jacket, Italians making some nice stuff, for me I've seen nice wearable vintage ones for that price range here

I bought a 1st generation Bronco from AVI and absolutely love it. Haven't bought anything from them since I got it in early 2018 but whilst I'm not interested in any of their newer things I would never sell that Bronco.

For the budget market Shawn and 5 Star have without doubt cornered a lot of that market and he offers an enormous range and a lot of customisation. Saying that there's a lot of guys who seem to love AVI's navy jackets.

coolhandluke

Does AVI offer any customization, such as sleeve length, for example?

They have helped Brettafett out with custom sleeve lengths in the past. That may just be a favor to Brett though as he has a longer relationship with Avi than most. I've personally asked Morten for a small customization on Avi's new AN-J-3 (no spec label) and never received a response.

g1jacketfan

Some folks have posted images of AVI jackets with flaking off of the top coat. Is this a standard thing that happens to all repro manufacturers' jackets as they wear in?

JonnyCrow

Some folks have posted images of AVI jackets with flaking off of the top coat. Is this a standard thing that happens to all repro manufacturers' jackets as they wear in?
If that's true then it's poor quality leather, good quality doesn't flake or peel, not if it's looked after, bonded leather flakes or peels, any idea of the origin leather?

Brettafett

Guys, have either of you even handled one of AVI's jackets? Or 5* or any for that matter. Who's jacket shows 'flaking'...?

Maybe you're referring to some post 70s original G-1s in cowhide. Ive seen some of those with the top coat 'flaking' or scuffed off to reveal a light underskin.

Cant speak for 5*, others can... Ive had almost every incarnation of AVI's jackets. The leather used has varied over the years and Ive never had one that 'flakes'. Never had a problem.
Top finish can and does rub or scuff off on any jacket with wear and time... thats what starts the patina process and gives the vintage appearance everyone loves.
But top coat flaking off...?

As for random issues, Ive owned jackets from almost everyone who makes them and had one issue or another from every one of the top high end makers. It happens occasionally.
Part & parcel of hand made jackets and vintage replicated hardware.

As for quality of leather, you get what you pay for. If you want as close to WW2 hide as can be, then you need to buy a jacket from the people who invest in that process and be prepared to pay those prices. No, AVI's hides are not the same as used by Eastman or Goodwear, but its not far off and more than good enough for the jacket.
If you want a decent original-maker flight jacket, be it A-2, M-422a, G-1 whatever, but dont want to spend $1000 to $1500, what are your options?
Secondhand? Get lucky with an original?
What if you want something new and unworn, a repro thats relatively accurate (as far as patterns, general details), but don't much care about WW2 accurate repro zippers or press studs.
What are your options?

"Heaps of repros much cheaper"... than AVI and 5*? Really, where? Who? Please share links...

Originals? Sure, this is an old and constantly referred back too discussion. You can still find a decent original if you're lucky... and patient.
If you can, then do so.
But they are not as cheap as you'd think, at least not the ones in good condition.
And lets not even talk about the expense of refurbing one, if needs be. Aero charges £100 to replace knits, and that doesn't incl the knits or postage.

I often wonder what the conversation would be, if there was no AVI or 5*...

Brettafett

Does AVI offer any customization, such as sleeve length, for example?
I have always understood that they do. Most of mine have had an inch added to sleeves.
I placed the request in the 'notes' section at order and followed up with an email to Morten. Most of the time, Ive received an acknowledgement.
Same for choice of leather, thread, and other requests like, "Please use a lighter shade of mouton if possible..."

JonnyCrow

I have always understood that they do. Most of mine have had an inch added to sleeves.
I placed the request in the 'notes' section at order and followed up with an email to Morten. Most of the time, Ive received an acknowledgement.
Same for choice of leather, thread, and other requests like, "Please use a lighter shade of mouton if possible

Same for choice of leather, thread, and other requests like, "Please use a lighter shade of mouton if possible..."
Guys, have either of you even handled one of AVI's jackets? Or 5* or any for that matter. Who's jacket shows 'flaking'...?

Maybe you're referring to some post 70s original G-1s in cowhide. Ive seen some of those with the top coat 'flaking' or scuffed off to reveal a light underskin.

Cant speak for 5*, others can... Ive had almost every incarnation of AVI's jackets. The leather used has varied over the years and Ive never had one that 'flakes'. Never had a problem.
Top finish can and does rub or scuff off on any jacket with wear and time... thats what starts the patina process and gives the vintage appearance everyone loves.
But top coat flaking off...?

As for random issues, Ive owned jackets from almost everyone who makes them and had one issue or another from every one of the top high end makers. It happens occasionally.
Part & parcel of hand made jackets and vintage replicated hardware.

As for quality of leather, you get what you pay for. If you want as close to WW2 hide as can be, then you need to buy a jacket from the people who invest in that process and be prepared to pay those prices. No, AVI's hides are not the same as used by Eastman or Goodwear, but its not far off and more than good enough for the jacket.
If you want a decent original-maker flight jacket, be it A-2, M-422a, G-1 whatever, but dont want to spend $1000 to $1500, what are your options?
Secondhand? Get lucky with an original?
What if you want something new and unworn, a repro thats relatively accurate (as far as patterns, general details), but don't much care about WW2 accurate repro zippers or press studs.
What are your options?

"Heaps of repros much cheaper"... than AVI and 5*? Really, where? Who? Please share links...

Originals? Sure, this is an old and constantly referred back too discussion. You can still find a decent original if you're lucky... and patient.
If you can, then do so.
But they are not as cheap as you'd think, at least not the ones in good condition.
And lets not even talk about the expense of refurbing one, if needs be. Aero charges £100 to replace knits, and that doesn't incl the knits or postage.

I often wonder what the conversation would be, if there was no AVI or 5*...
Brett here in Europe prices run lower for us, depends what your looking for but the Italians are making semi decent jackets

Brettafett

Its true, it all depends what you're after, you're expectations and how much you want to spend.

I know QMI, De Brabander, Noble House, Pike Brothers etc pretty well, owned a couple, and tried on their jackets a few times in the past (some even reviewed here somewhere).
QMI/ De Brabander's leather is very stiff, smooth and cardboard-like, unless they've changed recently. Patterns are not modelled after any specific original. Knits not 100% wool etc. Lots of missing details. Theres a reason they're cheaper.
NH and Pike are OK, some better than others, patterns way off, not cheap either.

Besides these. There are a few places you can get 'new' flight jackets for under $300, even here in UK.. A-2s for £150.... Even Wested's A-2.... but one would have to class these as entry level or budget.
Not patterned after actual WW2 originals, leather quality not great, basic hardware, knits etc.
Until one has tried on a jacket from a couple of different makers, its hard to tell.

Not to come across as snobby, but AVI's jackets are a level above all of these (again, I have not owned a 5* so cant speak for them).
Patterns and contract details might not be 100% perfect, but they are copied off actual originals in AVI's collection and are 90% there (in most cases).
Leather's are actually pretty decent, generally correct weight and thickness...
(GW now get their goat from Pakistan - comparing my just received GW samples with my AVI jackets, well, same thickness, same pliability, GWs has more grain and the colours are slightly different).
Zippers, hardware and knit are not up too GW, ELC quality, but they mimic the original and do the job.

The point being, there are options, and we should be glad for all them. But not all options are the same.
One works hard for ones money, so there's good reason to consider carefully what one throws it at. Its your money.

If you want a general look-a-like flight jacket, not too phased on details, materials, fit profile or comfort... tons of options.
Want a decent enough original maker jacket, with decent materials and detailing = AVI and 5* (from what I can see)
Then once the bug has bitten, and you want the detailing... you'll want to look up the ladder.

Personally, I'd rather pay an extra $100 for a jacket patterned after an original, with better leather, detailing and fit.
Then again, depending what one is after, one could look for a secondhand Eastman or Aero... or original G-1 and one might get lucky.
Just beware of replacement and refurbishing costs!

Brettafett

Yes, exactly. These E series G-1s are available in abundance at manageable prices.
But understand that these are usually some form of cow hide with dynal/ faux fur collars, same with knits etc very different to the earlier contracts (even some modern repros) in quality.
Also condition and fit play a role.
Depending on expectations, you could get lucky with an original. But cleaning, refurbing, replacing parts can easily and quickly amount to hundreds of $$...

There are always a handful of B, C and D series G-1s and sometimes original M-422As on Ebay/ Etsy/ Buyee for example... But for those in good, wearable condition. Not often cheap.
Ask questions before buying, understand what you are buying... If you get lucky, you'll be well-pleased.

Thing is, if its an WW2 M-422A you want, or a 1950s 55J14 specifically... for example... and you dont want the hassle or expense of finding, buying and maintaining an original, then your options are limited.
Pay $1000 - 1500 plus for a high end repro, or AVI has a good one for $300 odd (and yes, you can add an inch to sleeves if you, like me, have Orang-utan arms)

Capt

‘God knows I don't need more jackets, but my curiosity might get the better of me, esp for the M-442a and Star G-1.”

I know the feeling, I assumed the current AVI m422a was based on the G&F?

FWIW, Im a 46” chest with broad shoulders and ended up with a 52 m422a that fits good. A also ordered a 52 55-j-14 at the same time and it’s larger everywhere, not having a go at AVI they can’t make jackets to fit everyones modern shapes.

Will be interested in whatever navy variants they make.

Great forum

B-Man2

‘God knows I don't need more jackets, but my curiosity might get the better of me, esp for the M-442a and Star G-1.”

I know the feeling, I assumed the current AVI m422a was based on the G&F?

FWIW, Im a 46” chest with broad shoulders and ended up with a 52 m422a that fits good. A also ordered a 52 55-j-14 at the same time and it’s larger everywhere, not having a go at AVI they can’t make jackets to fit everyones modern shapes.

Will be interested in whatever navy variants they make.

Great forum
Hey Capt
Glad to hear from you . You’ve been around for a while, glad to see you posting .
Post a few picks of your favorite jackets when you have some free time .
Cheers

Capt

Will do, got into Jackets back in the 80’s had a few here and there even visited Eastman shop after the then cheap to visit IAT at Fairford air show on a holiday in the south and meet Gary’s Dad, suggested they open a store that people could visit.. They were allot cheaper back then.

only got 2 original G-1’s that actually still fit me but first jacket was a Lambskin A2 from Avirex that was in a Sunday paper magazine that came with a free copy of The book Cowboys of the sky, then it all started with Avirex mail order Cockpit magazine when there was no internet back then.

my brother recently sold McArthur A2 horsehide he kept all these years and bought a car coat from AVI that he loves.

Brettafett

I remember Alan. He 'sold' me my very first Eastman, a RW 27752. I think it was £425 at the time. That was Ivybridge.
He even ironed on a AAF decal for me, while I watched. Using a proper old-school iron.