• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking For Suggestions For Period Correct Patches For This USN 37J1 .

B-Man2

Guys
I’m looking for suggestions for patches that would be period correct for this USN 37J1 jacket . Any help would be great appreciated .
Thanks
F7D296C5-DF63-4215-9728-46635CF2C65D.jpeg

Griffon_301

You have several choices;

Fighter: I guess "Felix" is obvious, less obvious would be the "Flying Chiefs" of VF-2; the squadron was manned entirely by CPOs and I was thinking about commissioning the guy who did VB-2 patch for my 37J1 to do its patch and use it on my CPO shirt;
Torpedo: VT-2, VT-3, VT-5 all had great looking patches; personally, I would go for the Red Dragon of VT-3; don´t mix the Torp-Rons with the later day Training Squadrons that carried the same squadron designation when you look for their patches;
Bombing/Scouting: again, you have the choice of some famous squadrons; VB-2, VB-3, VB-6, VS-6;

I think thats the squadron patches I would look at...

ausreenactor

Hi Burt,

these are my 37J1:

this piece of art was done by master @ties70 himself

aYwpwiz.jpg

JnnpZJ6.jpg

IIHGENy.jpg

qHu0PEs.jpg

he other one was created by JOSH

J4oCnaj.jpg

Lkz2XnI.jpg

honestly i do not have any clue about how accurate each of the 2 version is

Josh is amazing; however, he will paint anything on any jacket...

Many examples that make you wonder.....

Patch thread will have many examples of the period. Think there is a USN patch website by J. Signor...

zoomer

You have the option to ignore the wartime reg of unit patch left / name patch right. Both were generally seen on the right pre-war.

For a patch not yet mentioned, you might choose to commemorate Midway's ill-fated Torpedo 6.
images 1.47.14 PM.jpeg

Last edited: