• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for officer pinks, trousers

dinomartino1

Officer pinks, trousers
Anybody know any other places cheaper than eastman.
Not for renactment just looking for 1940s style high waisted and wide leg trousers, not bothered about the fabric but must have the same cut as the originals.

dinomartino1

Look too modern cut to me.

Last edited:

stanier

One word of warning dinomartino1, the ELC pinks are very heavy in weight. Very warm and quite itchy on the legs. Great on a cold winters day, but, imho, a nightmare in anything above about 10 degrees Celsius. If you do find an alternative I’d look for a lighter weight cloth, and something to have in mind if you end up going with an ELC pair, particularly where you live. They are also cut very wide. They don’t break into your shoe, so to speak, but are straight all the way to the ground. My first pair I had hemmed and turned out I had pants with a 27inch inside leg! Normally I’m a 30!

stanier

Also, it might be worth checking out Seal Military and Soldier of Fortune and wwii impressions. I’m sure there’s others.

Smithy

One word of warning dinomartino1, the ELC pinks are very heavy in weight. Very warm and quite itchy on the legs. Great on a cold winters day, but, imho, a nightmare in anything above about 10 degrees Celsius. If you do find an alternative I’d look for a lighter weight cloth, and something to have in mind if you end up going with an ELC pair, particularly where you live. They are also cut very wide. They don’t break into your shoe, so to speak, but are straight all the way to the ground. My first pair I had hemmed and turned out I had pants with a 27inch inside leg! Normally I’m a 30!

Stanier hits the nail on the head. I really can't fathom how much wear you'd get out of a pair in WA Flynny. If you're looking for the US fly boy look in terms of trousers you might be better off going for the USAAF tropical uniform or USN pants.

dinomartino1

Stanier hits the nail on the head. I really can't fathom how much wear you'd get out of a pair in WA Flynny. If you're looking for the US fly boy look in terms of trousers you might be better off going for the USAAF tropical uniform or USN pants.

I was hoping to find Chinese copies in inferior lighter fabric but they all seem to be cut like modern trousers with a slightly wider leg, not high waisted and really wide leg.
I have bronson and BR US army chinos.

dinomartino1

What is the hem width on them?
MY BR 1945 31w chinos are 9 1/4" but I wear them rolled up, If had them taken up to right leg length it be around 9 3/4"
i would be wearing them with 1/2" cuff.
Unless a lighter weight option is available somewhere else i will have to give them a miss.

stanier

What is the hem width on them?
MY BR 1945 31w chinos are 9 1/4" but I wear them rolled up, If had them taken up to right leg length it be around 9 3/4"
i would be wearing them with 1/2" cuff.
Unless a lighter weight option is available somewhere else i will have to give them a miss.

I’m out at the moment dinomartino1 but when I get home later I’ll measure. I’d say at least 10 inches from my memory. I wore them once to a 1940’s weekend on an August day in the UK and I was ill with the heat and very uncomfortable. The cloth is so thick I’m not sure you could cuff them with 1/2 inch. I’ve never handled an original pair but I struggle to believe that they didn’t have a lighter weight option in the war years, and I can well understand how some officers had a tailor narrow them...

dinomartino1

Pretty sure US officers had to pay for their uniform even if it was govt issue, which is why I think where so many companies that offered private purchase uniforms in the USA, you would think someone made them in lighter weight fabric for comfort.

Cocker

I’m out at the moment dinomartino1 but when I get home later I’ll measure. I’d say at least 10 inches from my memory. I wore them once to a 1940’s weekend on an August day in the UK and I was ill with the heat and very uncomfortable. The cloth is so thick I’m not sure you could cuff them with 1/2 inch. I’ve never handled an original pair but I struggle to believe that they didn’t have a lighter weight option in the war years, and I can well understand how some officers had a tailor narrow them...

Stanier, would you be so kind as to measure the inseam on yours, also? I'm looking for a pair of trousers too, for "reenactment" purpose, and am considering all the options. But in my case, the issue is mostly with the inseam, as usual...

dinomartino1

Stanier, would you be so kind as to measure the inseam on yours, also? I'm looking for a pair of trousers too, for "reenactment" purpose, and am considering all the options. But in my case, the issue is mostly with the inseam, as usual...

W30 to 34 is 34" leg
W36 and up is 36" leg

dinomartino1

WW2 impressions version are $225 and are not the original cut, I can understand cheaper stuff being not right but not at those prices, why spend so much money for something that is not correct, i suppose reenactors are the main buyers, why would you want something "contemporary" that kind of defeats the whole idea of reenactment.

"The pattern of these trousers is contemporary but is very similar to the WWII officer's pinks trousers."

stanier

Measure of the ELC hem width....

Cocker

@dinomartino1 thank you! I think I'll go for WPG's 1937 "mustard" trousers instead, as they appear to be around 35 or 36 inseam and pretty correct regarding accuracy.

stanier

Out of curiosity does anyone have an original pair of pinks they could measure the bottom hem width please? Cheers Chris

Steve27752

My ELC 'Pinks' are a 34" waist and I did not realise how baggy they were until I saw photo's of me wearing them.
I had a seamstress friend of mine take the legs in for there entire length. This is the after hem measurement.
IMG_0760.jpg