• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking For a Rank Tab “Fourreau de Grade” for French Armée de l’Air Leather Blouson PN

w1rc

Hello All......

I have a very nice first generation jacket made in 1979 and I would very much like to find the correct Armé de l’Air “Fourreau de Grade” rank slip-on (preferably Lieutenant rank) for when I display it with my collection.

The photos show several pilots wearing their blousons with the fourreau de grade on their left breast. Any idea where I might obtain one?

Thanks for any assistance.....

Best regards,

Michael (w1rc)

Michael (w1rc)
DD2AB96C-2AA6-44A2-A413-0346B34900FA.jpeg

7A6474E3-7809-40B3-BE0B-EDBDE6E7E60C.jpeg

8653C118-9925-4597-80EC-1E4045AE4A15.jpeg

Last edited:

VeraVoulik

I've checked ebay, but nothing showed up. There are shoulder 'fourreau' but not the one for PN blouson.

Maybe worth a try contacting vintage surplus like Latranchée ;)

w1rc

Thanks for all the info. Was hoping that someone on here might have one of these Armèe de l’Air rank tabs and would do a swap. It’s just a finishing touch to a super item in my collection. French militaria is interesting and I would think there are many collectors. Nowever I do not know very much about militaria per se. i have a small collection of Gendarmerie d’Outre Mer and Préfecture de Police insignia that includes several pieces from the 1940-44 period and some of those Drago pieces are true works of art. However discussions of these items is beyond the scope of this forum,

I have done some research into the French leather flight jackets because I really don’t want repro anything in my collections. From what I have learned I think I can tell what is “real” and what isn’t. As an exercise I look at eBay postings all the time. I found one that fits me perfectly and am in the process of slowly restoring it although I do wear it regularly. It is one of my favourite flight jackets in the collection of about thirty aviation and law enforcement leather garments.

i have in my collection a beautiful Gibson and Barnes “Flightliner” A-2 style leather jacket they made for American Airlines (and others) in the 1980s/90s. Inside the map pocket I found the wings and four stripe Captain slip-ons that the former owner must have left in the pocket. i wear this jacket a lot but never with the insignia but when I display it these items really make a difference.

I have read pilot’s postings on the subject and he is indeed very knowledgeable I would like to ask him a few questions about the jackets but it seems that he has set his preferences not to receive private messages......

Perhaps if he is reading this he would send me a message or allow me to contact him. We are all here to help and learn from each other. Collecting and knowledge go hand in hand. Without knowledge you are not a collector; you are an accumulator,

Best to all and happy collecting....

Michael (w1rc)
Marblehead Massachusetts

Last edited:

Kermit3D

There is indeed a problem to send private messages to Pilot. He is aware of this and it is beyond his control.
Smithy has "tagged" Pilot, so he should receive a message that he is being talked about here.

If that doesn't work, I can write to him on his personal email and tell him that you are looking for him.

ausreenactor

Would the two rows for Lieutenant be positioned centrally on an equivalent sized black backing or only as high / tall as the two rows?

Do you know the dimensions?

w1rc

Would the two rows for Lieutenant be positioned centrally on an equivalent sized black backing or only as high / tall as the two rows?

Do you know the dimensions?

I am sorry but I have never actually examined one up closely. It is just a cloth slip-on much like a shoulder strap slip-on with one or more bars indicating rank. However it is smaller than the shoulder slip-on tt would not fit on the attachment strap on the front of the jacket.

Last edited:

w1rc

Here is an excellent reference to rank insignia of the Armée de l’Air.

it should be mentioned that these are shoulder slip-ons and not the one I am seeking.