• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a flight jacket...

Tigers9968

@Tigers9968 thank you! just did some thorough ebay digging! took some time but eventually found one :)
I’m so glad I’m back at work today. The past 3.5 months off due to being mobilised with the army reserve has been a nightmare. How I haven’t managed to blow my savings on ebay purchases is a miracle!
I went down the rabbit hole when it come to searching out stuff on that website. I think at one point i was looking at original WW2 hand cranked air raid sirens ‍Lol

falcon_ib

A year or two ago I found one on ebay for $50 too :eek: it's since become my go-to leather jacket.
1974 manufacture by Imperial Fashions Inc., missing the cuffs, replaced waistband, shoddy but functional zip replacement, and stitch repairs all over.
IMG_6448.jpeg
IMG_6450.jpeg

It's definitely a beater, but honestly that's why I I love it. I kind of see it as a long term restoration project that I'm not afraid to wear and get dirty in. Just gotta get a some knits from MASH and a new zip somewhere down the line, and it'll be perfect :)

@kharshbarger welcome, and show us your jacket when you get it!!

Attachments

• IMG_6449.jpeg
    IMG_6449.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 140

B-Man2

@Tigers9968 an air raid siren would be pretty cool to own hahah

@falcon_ib jacket looks great! all the wear and tear gives the jacket a life of its own! :)

update: jacket came in yesterday and fits PERFECT. Even feels like the old one! Will try to take some better pictures later of the jacket not in a dirty mirror haha.

Anyone know any good places for name tags :p
View attachment 41403
Are we talking about military chest name tags that go on the chest ? Or hidden name tags as theft prevention?
I’m assuming you mean anti theft because your last jacket was stolen, so have some small cloth name tags printed up and sew one inside the interior pocket that would be relatively easy to find with a little bit of searching and then sew a second one inside the sleeve down about 4 inches above the sleeve knit attachment line. Hopefully the thief will find the pocket name tag and stop looking. Of course the easiest way to make sure your jacket doesn’t get stolen is ......... don’t take it off... ;)

Last edited:

kharshbarger

@B-Man2 Both? But most definitely the later. Appreciate the tips!

Up in the air (no pun intended) on whether or not i'd want to sully the clean jacket look, but interest in seeing what's out there. What do y'all know about the military chest name tags?

mulceber

Not much, frankly, but if you go for one, just make sure it's from the right one. They vary depending on time and branch of the military.

B-Man2

@B-Man2 Both? But most definitely the later. Appreciate the tips!

Up in the air (no pun intended) on whether or not i'd want to sully the clean jacket look, but interest in seeing what's out there. What do y'all know about the military chest name tags?
It’s your jacket to do as you wish ( I always try and start out with a supportive and positive comment before the “however”:D)
However....... consider that you’re going to be putting more holes in your jacket and you’ll have people asking you when you were in the service and a bunch of other questions. Some of us don’t do it. Some of us do, particularly if they decide to make a tribute jacket to a significant person in their lives, like your uncle or a military hero . In which case they find out the specific units and ranks etc, so that they duplicate that particular jacket exactly as it was in the war. It’s a personal decision . There are several places to get name tags made , one of which is US Authentic a company that makes name tags and a few on eBay do as well. I hope I was able to help .
Cheers

Last edited:

917_k

Looks great kharshbarger, real nice fit.

Personal preference re. name tags, or any patches, rank insignia etc: I try to avoid it, especially adding some to a jacket that doesn’t already have a name tag or patches (fair enough if it’s an original with the owners patches). Everyone is entitled to do their own thing, but I personally feel it just looks a bit silly. (I cannot stand the leather name strips people add to their A-2s. I bought an Eastman A-2 & B-3 secondhand and the original owners had added their name strips, which at some point I’ll replace with a blank strip of leather).