• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lightweight "A-2" for the warmth of Summer...

JimO

With the beginning of Summer and the onset of warmer weather, it's time to start wearing this lightweight Avirex cotton/nylon shell jacket.

It's a cooler & lighter alternative to goatskin & horsehide, with the convenience of inside & handwarmer pockets and still offers A-2 styling.

I bought it from the Beverly Hills Cockpit store in 1995 for a C note.

A2lw.jpg

A2lw2.jpg

A2lw3.jpg

zoomer

I still have my Orvis rainproofed A-2, which lacks any leather trim (I prefer that look). It is lined, and a little warmer than an unlined twill A-2 that I once owned, made in the '80s by L.L.Bean. It had cotton knits too. Very nice piece but nothing like that (or the Orvis) is being made now.

JimO

Hey Jan! When the weather gets up into the mid 70's, I'm purely shorts & short sleeves. This jacket is nice to have when the wind picks up or it starts to cool as the sun goes down. The nice thing about it is that it's lightweight & foldable, so if it heats up, you can easily stash it in a small backpack.

zoomer

Found a Polo version in unlined twill. Definitely '90s cut, wide shoulders and short waist, but it'll do.

s-l1600.jpg