• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lightest replica jacket

Canes580

I recently purchased a beautiful replica A 2 jacket.(picture posted on this site)
Unfortunately I had to return it. I have a herniated disc in my neck and the weight caused pain after about 20 minutes wearing it.
My old polo bomber jacket never caused me pain.
‘Does anyone have a suggestion where I could find an authentic looking A 2 that was really light ?

Brettafett

AVI LTHR

I have the recent 2019 version. Its made from a light, supple, yet robust seal goatskin. The jacket is very comfortable to wear and the lightest of all my A-2s.
I've done numerous reviews on these jackets, if you want to search, I see even google shows them up.

Its sits as a firm favourite, even among my high end jackets.

Canes580

AVI LTHR

I have the recent 2019 version. Its made from a light, supple, yet robust seal goatskin. The jacket is very comfortable to wear and the lightest of all my A-2s.
I've done numerous reviews on these jackets, if you want to search, I see even google shows them up.

Its sits as a firm favourite, even among my high end jackets.
Was there a particular web site you got the jacket on ? The jacket I had purchased was an Avirex made from goatskin.

dinomartino1

The link was in brettafetts post, click on the red, you can only buy a new AVI jacket from AVI.

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

It is my understanding that goatskin is quite a bit lighter in weight than horse or cow, and has a higher tensile strength to boot. Several months ago I purchased two flight jackets of basically the same style and size from FiveStar. One was goat, and the other was buffalo. The weight of the goatskin jacket is about half the weight of the buffalo hide one. But if you really want super light weight, you need to go with kangaroo hide; the lightest, strongest leather in the known universe. I'm serious.

Kennyz

You might want to contact Shawn at Five Star Leather about having a lighter jacket made, Canes580. I've no doubt he could more then help you out.

Ken

Brettafett

If you're in the US, and not too pedantic on WWII/ original pattern detailing, then you could try Cockpit USA.

But at that price you could get two AVI LTHRs or 5*s

busdrivermike

You could try San Diego leather factory
They make modern A2 jackets and do custom orders
I had a motorcycle jacket made when I was 70lbs heavier
They had several leather options goat / dear / cow / lamb
And in several weights
7473845D-D5D4-4F32-9AF2-D4F0AC2024B0.jpeg
E7DFF660-CF01-4C9B-809D-1F0783AFFF2D.jpeg

dinomartino1

22A207EC-F710-4C6E-9D8B-77F70F7EABA1.jpeg

A shame it was too heavy it looked good on you.
I see you bought an avirex goatskin jacket, did you with it by any chance weight it.
If we knew the weight and size we could help you more.

"Retired Atty. Was a history major undergrad. I am a WWII buff. Father fought in the Pacific. Just started doing research on The A.V. G. and 14 th A.F. I thought it would be great to own a replica-tribute jacket. Looking at all great A-2s out there, I might consider getting more."

You might consider an M-41 jacket as a lightweight option, there is a militaria shop in US called ATF "at the front" that sells two versions one with wool and one with a cotton lining and you could patch it.

Here is my M-41 jacket from at the front with cotton lining, 47th bomb sqn patch, they flew A-20 Havocs in North Africa and Italy

P1030052.JPG

Last edited:

Canes580

I want to thank you all for the suggestions, especially Kennyz. Shawn from Five Star Leather was very helpful. He recommended thin Capeskin. I ordered made a russet lightly distressed A2 made from Capeskin with cotton liner and a silk Kuomintang blood chit sewed on the right side. After I get it I will decide whether to either paint or patch or neither.

Kennyz

My pleasure, Canes580 :). That jacket you ordered from Shawn sounds awesome!

Ken

I want to thank you all for the suggestions, especially Kennyz. Shawn from Five Star Leather was very helpful. He recommended thin Capeskin. I ordered made a russet lightly distressed A2 made from Capeskin with cotton liner and a silk Kuomintang blood chit sewed on the right side. After I get it I will decide whether to either paint or patch or neither.