• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lewis Leathers Bronx Jackets

Roughwear

In 1956 Lewis Leathers of Great Portland Street, London, launched what was to become one of their most popular MC jackets, the Bronx no. 384. The example pictured below from my collection, dates to the late 1950s, having just the cream Aviakit product label sewn on to the lining.

Lewis Leathers was a retail shop selling a range of motorcycle clothing and equipment made by a variety of firms. Some of the garments had Aviakit and Lewis Leathers labels applied to them. During the 1950s the Elizabeth Radley Leather company (renamed “Highwayman” in the 1960s) made their leather jackets.

This late 1950s Bronx jacket is 100% original with a Lightning main zip. The leather is soft making it very comfortable to wear. Early Bronx jackets were very rare indeed.

The second Bronx jacket is the twin track no. 440. The jacket was premiered at the Brighton Bike show in the autumn of 1965 and was on sale from 1966. This jacket was made before the patent was approved and has “patent applied for” stamped on the label, making it very rare. It is in superb condition and is totally original. The main zip is also a Lightning. It has seven pockets, including an inside wallet pocket and a coin pocket on the sleeve. I particularly like the coin/key pocket on the left sleeve, which is not present on my early Bronx jacket. The leather is full of grain. It is tagged a 42, but fits bigger.

Ian C

I'm after a twin-track as soon as funds allow Andrew, then it's just a case of building a Triton to go with it....

BlackTriton.jpg

Roughwear

There are fantastic jackets Ian. Are you planning on buying new from Lewis Leathers or going for a used Bronx? Good luck whatever you decide to do.

John Lever

Great post thanks Andrew,and a couple of lovely old bikes. When I was a student in the 70's I used to walk past the Lewis Leathers shop every day on my way from the halls of residence to lectures. There were always jackets hanging outside the shop. Have been to see Derek (a member here) in the London shop ?
So Andrew when is the bike arriving to complete the ensemble ??

Roughwear

John, I visited Derek earlier in the year and he was impressed with the early Twin Track Bronx. I used to own several motorbikes, but following an accident which was not my fault sadly no longer ride.

Silver Surfer

bronx?? hahaha, ya mean in bronx, ny, usa? a better name would have been the "corona" as in corona, queens, ny, usa, a redoubt for some serious mc "clubs", back in the day.

Ian C

By far the best jacket that Lewis Leathers do. A lot of people prefer the Lightning, but I'd take the Bronx every time.
I tried a single zip original on a year ago (at a bike show, where my avatar was taken funnily enough) and it was too short. I was a bit gutted as it was £250 and I had the money on me. I've since decided that I'd buy new and go bespoke. I was actually wondering what the quality of the current offerings were if you have any idea?

Roughwear

Ian, I have a brown Bronx on order from LL and expect it to arrive in the next few weeks as it was ordered in early November 2013 and the wait time is 14 to 16 weeks. I will post a review to give you an idea of the quality of the jacket.

Ian C

Thanks for that. Do they do options? I was thinking of leaving off the sleeve pocket if they did?

Roughwear

They make each jacket bespoke, so I'm sure they could leave off the sleeve zip. You could always email Derek Harris to check. Like you I prefer the appearance of the iconic Bronx to the Lightning no. 391 jacket.

Ian C

I don't really do the studs and other adornments either, though I would stretch to a 59 patch if I built the bike.

Roughwear

Good stuff Ian. There is a nice range of MC jackets in your picture, including on Bronx and several Brando style spin-offs with the iconic key/money pocket.