• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Levis LVC 1930s Menlo leather jacket

Marv

I have just picked up (well waiting for it to arrive) a Levis LVC 1930s Menlo leather jacket and have a question regarding applying a leather conditioner to it.

The jacket is made from sheepskin so was wondering what the best type of leather conditioner would be suitable to use on this type of hide.

The jacket is a dark seal brown colour with factory distressing so wanted to tone this down a little, not too bothered about whether the hide darkens once the conditioner has been applied.

Probably looking for a non greasy application / finish to the hide so any suggestions would be appreciated - as I am UK based, anything suitable which can be purchased here would be preferable.

dmar836

I bought a lanolin-based cleaner for fleece as there are those who think the base oil of the animal is what you should go with. Unless it is a pet, I'm not sure it matters but something lanolin based might be something to look in to.
Dave

Marv

This the jacket in question (well not the actual jacket).......

cl044-levis-vintage-clothing-menlo-leather-jacket-m.jpg

Marv

I do have some old (and do mean old probably 10 years) ELC Liquid Leather conditioner which says it can be used on all types of leather but because of its age, I am a bit hesitant to use it really.

Smithy

Paul, I've been using RM Williams's saddle and leather dressing for absolute eons and it has worked a treat on every single thing I have put it on and all types of leather (including lambskin). It's fantastic stuff and doesn't go rancid. You can put it on everything from horse tack to jackets, boots, luggage, it really is super stuff.

MikeyB-17

I do have some old (and do mean old probably 10 years) ELC Liquid Leather conditioner which says it can be used on all types of leather but because of its age, I am a bit hesitant to use it really.
I’ve got bottles and bottles of the Aero leather dressing that you got with every jacket (just goes to show how many Aero’s I used to buy!). Haven’t used any for years.

John Lever

If you apply any coating to the surface it will change colour and go much darker. Because the leather has been distressed the surface will be porous and have a mottled colour. Any variations in colour and texture will be lost.
It's like varnishing a piece of driftwood.

Dr H

I agree. The LVC treatment is, according to your taste, pretty much the complete product. I really liked my Menlo in washed goatskin (a bit russet for my tastes these days), but I wouldn’t have considered messing with it.

Dr H

Hmmm...worked for Daniel Craig, but not for me. Just a little bit too distressed I think.

Marv

It certainly takes some getting used to especially after wearing the A2s and G1s we all love, the distressing does kind of depict the clothing you can wear with it but even so, its a nice jacket.